Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ the car is a 2002 and here is the best pic i can grab

Old 03-22-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool you have someone walk you through it. If you are worried about engine light, remove fuse or relay from the AIR and see what happens.
My car's previous owner already did the mod. Assy is removed under driver side front bumper, harness is tie wrapped neatly out of way, and there is a screw threaded into the hose that connects to intake. Good luck
Old 03-22-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwdub4
^^^ the car is a 2002 and here is the best pic i can grab
Remove all that the connector is attached to and tape the end off to keep moister out then tuck it away. I have pulled it back out a bit to get a pic of it.

I just found this second pic from when I did the uninstall and it shows the connector when it was still connected.
Attached Thumbnails Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ-image-2737110569.jpg   Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ-dscf0001.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 03-22-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I like a good challenge. Knock sensor harness.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Remove all that the connector is attached to and tape the end off to keep moister out then tuck it away. I have pulled it back out a bit to get a pic of it.
ok so now that, that piece is taken care of how about the back of the mani? which part do i unplug and which do i leave along?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I like a good challenge. Knock sensor harness.
That connector attaches to the piece of metal that hangs of the back and is held on by the last two bolts for the intake manifold. The picture of the connector the OP posted deals with that solenoid that is connected to the AIR system a little further up on the left side of the intake.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

AHH, so the KS plug is further back under the cowl.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AHH, so the KS plug is further back under the cowl.
Hai! I just added another photo to a previous post of when the connector was still connected to the solenoid piece before I removed it.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cwdub4
ok so now that, that piece is taken care of how about the back of the mani? which part do i unplug and which do i leave along?
Look at the thin black vacuum tubing hanging off the piece that is in the picture I add to post 23. All of that can be removed from the back of the manifold IIRC (including the "T" connector). The vacuum line that plugs in to the "T" and runs to the right side of the car can plug directly in to the MAP where the "T" once connected to it.

I just added a picture of the "T" connector I found. As you can see it is a lot easier with the intake manifold off but can be done with it on.
Attached Thumbnails Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ-dscf0002.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 03-22-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, incorrect information.If it's a state operated inspection station, an SES light may prompt the inspector to closely examine your emission system and if anything's missing, you may have to put it back. Some states may even put into their system that you removed gear so your car will be flagged for a thorough inspection regardless where you go.
And, since it IS California we are talking about here, you can almost guarantee that an "Enviro-****" regulation is in place to "screw you to the max" !

Does California also have a "tailpipe sniffer test", in addition to OBD-II and visual inspection ?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Yes CA has one of the most stringent and **** sniffer tests. It is a computer link directly to the DMV. It links with their computers and is very tough to get around their tests. Only way I had a 1986 Carbureted Olds 442 307 pass was for technician to put in Drive instead of park for the sampling! Putting in drive lowered the rpm's and allowed car to barely scrape by. This was done by a friend's husbands shop and he showed me the trick. Okay...this was a bone stock car. He sold his shop, I moved and tried to get it tested again ....bone stock, it obviously failed and repair shop drilled out the carburetor adjusts and charged me hundreds of dollars to retard the idle from the factory setting. I tell this story to show the racket and hassle people have to go through to get a stocker V8 car passed. Now, think about the guy with headers, or simple mods...If you want a fast car in CA you must buy a 'factory' fast car like a CTS-V or a 5.0. Otherwise must be old and considered a 30 year old legacy type car.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a good thread that you can reference:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...air-tubes.html
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
And, since it IS California we are talking about here, you can almost guarantee that an "Enviro-****" regulation is in place to "screw you to the max" ! Does California also have a "tailpipe sniffer test", in addition to OBD-II and visual inspection ?
I don't live there but it is my belief that in the end the AIR won't be any issue as it is very hard to see if it is missing and a tune will take care of any SES light that may result. Since he is installing an ORY that IMO is what he needs to be worried about come inspection time but with that said I believe in a previous post he said he could get it passed so on with the modding.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No worries, ss, your experience is not the norm. Consider yourself lucky.
Alright, I was wrong. I went back and looked at my notes of the reflash done on the PCM in anticipation of the ORY to be installed and I see that codes P0410, P0412, P0418, P1415 and P1416 were disabled also. There was about a week in between the AIR removal and the reflash but I don't remember the CEL coming on. That was in 2008 so too long ago to remember for me. Again I apologize.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Just because you can get by the normal Smog test in CA doesnt mean you're in the clear.

There are still the random mobile roadside test as will as getting pulled over by a peace officer.

If a Peace officer pulls you over for modified exhaust, they have the right to ask you to open the hood. If he see's the headers, he can cite you and direct that your vehicle be inspected at a State Referee. At this point if your car is not 100% bone stock or at least have C.A.R.B approved aftermarket parts, you're basically screwed as the car will be permanently marked in the system.

The state smog program educates the peace officers on what to look for.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since the OP has had the the system installed I guess he will find out what the ramifications are. As far as the AIR removal which is what I was commenting on that part of it is pretty inconspicuous.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Just because you can get by the normal Smog test in CA doesnt mean you're in the clear.

There are still the random mobile roadside test as will as getting pulled over by a peace officer.

If a Peace officer pulls you over for modified exhaust, they have the right to ask you to open the hood. If he see's the headers, he can cite you and direct that your vehicle be inspected at a State Referee. At this point if your car is not 100% bone stock or at least have C.A.R.B approved aftermarket parts, you're basically screwed as the car will be permanently marked in the system.

The state smog program educates the peace officers on what to look for.
And why anyone would want to live in a shithole like that is beyond me. Everything that people say is good about the place can be found elsewhere in this country without the unconsitutional laws governing them.

Quick Reply: Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ