Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the TICK!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the TICK!?

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone who has ever had or has a ticking problem.

Long and short of it...

My problem consisted of a tick under load present from take off till about 3k rpm. Then it was drowned out by my exhaust. And I could only hear it on the driverside.

I manage a towing company here in CA and we have a little mom and pop shop one of the mechanics there has an extensive background in building hot rods even doing LS1-LS3 swaps. He was certain I had a bad lifter or bent pushrod. I have heard thousands of LS based engines run from stock to stroked (just wanted to use that word) none of which has this much valve train noise so I thought ..... anywho on to business.

I didn't want to take that as "you need to rip the heads off and see what's wrong" so stubborn me went through everything changed plugs, headers gaskets, ran some seafoam through the engine, but nothing helped, and my car has never made this sound before about two weeks ago. So I pulled the pushrods all were perfect and had absolutely no wear.

I then got the stethoscope out and everything sounded perfect.

I was pissed drove the car a few more times and couldn't stand the sound, so parked it for a couple days. Was going to rip the heads off.
Then I got a wild hair what if the flange on the headers is so off the gaskets are leaking, so I doubled the gaskets and boom! The tick was gone!

I know there are a ton of "tick" threads I read just about every single
One of them so I just wanted to share what I found because a lot of them
Never have a end result.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What headers are you using that the flange is that far out of shape.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

Pacesetters.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not blaming the headers I'm using stocks bolts too so maybe they're to long?

Quick Reply: What the TICK!?