Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust clearance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust clearance.

This winter I plan on fitting a dual exhaust setup on my 02 Z28. I want to run 3" from the headers, through high flo cats, into a pair of sweet thunders w/ 3" inlet and 2.5" outlets, over the axle and out the back. I have poly motor mounts and trans mount. I have a pile of mandrel bends, welding skills, time, and initiative. My question is, how close is too close? How close can I route the exhaust pipe to the floor, frame members, etc? How close to the fuel tank?

How close can I get the pipes to the drive shaft? It moves up and down, but I am sure I need some side to side clearance for things moving around. How much?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you use the right hangers you should be able to get it real close and still have the clearance.

The hangers I have in the middle are different than the OEM hangers and they prevent the exhaust from moving, only a little bit each way so that there's no issues with cracking. Allows for real tight fit but no rubbing.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How tight of a fit? 1/8" clearance, 1/4"? 1"?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would keep the minimum clearance to at least 1/8" from the metal under body, and at least 1/4" minimum from anything that can melt even if it has a heat barrier protecting it. As far as drive shaft clearance just make sure that with the rear suspension compressed(load the rear down), and at full droop(rear-end hanging down) that you have about 1/16" clearance. Anywhere in between those two I'd keep at least 1/8".
IMO, when you're setting up you over axle pipes do it with the rear suspension fully compressed to help maximize you clearance with the rear-end assembly.

Quick Reply: Exhaust clearance.