Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Clearance from Ground

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Clearance from Ground

I did a search to see if I could find my answer, but OMG are there a lot of threads to go through. So I figured I would ask without being told to do a search.

I am about to get some long tubes, but need to know how far down they go. My car is lowered and scrapes on high bumps. I am not looking to spend big bucks on some headers, but want to get a little extra HP.

With that being said, what kind of headers do you have, and how far down do they hang?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Default Clearance Clarence

I have a 2000 SS with 1 7/8 ARH LT's with their catted y. I believe the hotchkis lowering springs have me dropped 1" or 1.25". That being said people talk about how great fitment the arh have too and I love em, but I've measured 2.5" under the lowest part of the catted y and under the header itself maybe another 1/4" extra. A standard 12oz soda can on its side can roll under the header but gets stuck under the cat and that's the driver side which sits lower than passenger side from my understanding. Gotta sacrifice clearance Clarence if you want the LT's.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some that say true duals tuck better than y-pipe LT setups, but I personally did not have any problems with my LT's and y-pipe running SLP springs. Honestly, my TSP Rumbler muffler was the lowest part of my exhaust.

Nonetheless, I'd take more power while scraping here
Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

The kooks lt headers tuck really well to the point I wondered if they were going to hit the floor pan.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some pictures of my Speed Engineering headers I have on mine, now the car is not lowered but should show you how they tuck, and they clear the oil filter as well.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill2002
I did a search to see if I could find my answer, but OMG are there a lot of threads to go through. So I figured I would ask without being told to do a search.

I am about to get some long tubes, but need to know how far down they go. My car is lowered and scrapes on high bumps. I am not looking to spend big bucks on some headers, but want to get a little extra HP.

With that being said, what kind of headers do you have, and how far down do they hang?
I went with the BBK header and ORY-pipe for this very reason. They tuck up tight! Furthermore with it's ball-n-socket flange you can adjust how tight the Y-pipe tucks.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have TSP 1 7/8 and have a measured 4" from the lowest part of their catted y pipe to the ground, but that's not on a lowered car.

Quick Reply: Header Clearance from Ground