Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter

i have a 06 5.3 in my 55 chevy i was thinking about using the corvette filter reg , i have rubber fuel line from the sender unit to pump can i run rubber fuel line from pump to the filter reg , and rubber fuel line from there to motor and rubber from the filter reg to return ( to tank ) ? i do see they make connectors to fit the filter reg ,,
thanks
Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes but you have to get the "fuel injection" rated hose. It will state this on the hose itself with a pressure rating. You will be running around 58psi so you need hose and clamps that can handle that. AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc have this stuff behind the counter by the foot.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using that much rubber fuel hose or any rubber fuel hoes for that matter is just the half *** hack way of doing things, and waiting to catch fire.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

his is what i have there is metal line that runs from the filter i have now to the front and he switched back to rubber at the motor , i am taking all that and moving it frame rail and going the vett filter and try using the metal front rear to front , i just have to figure out fittings

Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

There's nothing wrong with using pressure rated fuel injection hose. HOWEVER:

Realizing this is not a show car, the installation does look pretty rough.

I'd sleeve runs of fuel hose in wiring split loom so nothing can chafe and wear through the hose. The wiring looks poor, just stuffed up there and single wires exposed here and there. Wiring loom should be used.

The wire gauge to the pump looks kinda thin and the ground screw connection the way it's done is surely a poor connection.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Never said he should; he asked if he /could/. Been there on a half-finished 50+ yr old project and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get the thing running and get it prettied up later. And buy good full-coverage insurance.

Wire loom does sound good. Also the braided stainless or braided poly-covered stuff with AN fittings is real easy and affordable as well. Pep Boys seems to have a good selection of it in their new "performance" section in some of their stores. It looked like it would be difficult but once I watched a video of how it works I was embarrassed that I hadn't tried it before. It basically just screws together. Built-in protection for the hose and another option. Connectors are more but the fuel injection hose itself is almost as much as the stainless braid covered stuff. All affordable if you are DIY though IMO.

Good luck with your project.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

At a minimum I'd want fittings to convert those quick connect connections to barbed hose ends. Just shoving a hose with a hose clamp on and expecting it to hold 58 psi is a fire waiting to happen.

I'd buy a kit similar to this and build a new OEM style fuel system.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urr-kp1200/overview/
Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

her is what i am using now a short pcs of high pressure rubber fuel hose abut 6 to 8" long and i will use a compression coupling to the metal line running to front ,, and use rubber high pressure hose for the return and suction and mount all to frame rail , i am still working on the front end were the metal run to fuel rail

Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a big improvement, but from the looks of the fittings on the filter/regulator you should push the hoes on farther and used 2 clamps per fitting. You should still check those connections frequently I still wouldn't trust the single clamped fitting on the outlet of the fuel pump.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fry_
thats a big improvement, but from the looks of the fittings on the filter/regulator you should push the hoes on farther and used 2 clamps per fitting.
push them hoes!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mercier
push them hoes!!!
You got to push 'em hard and clamp 'em down so they know who's boss.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys i will use 2 each and i did get the fuel injection clamps too , now i need time to work on this thing my and i are building a powder coat oven,,
thanks guys ill be back
Old 12-01-2014, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

u could try to modify a stock line from a junk yard at least then ud have the correct fittings for the filter

Quick Reply: fuel filter