Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any negative effects/harm/drawbacks running open headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any negative effects/harm/drawbacks running open headers?

Headers will finally be here tomorrow, but Im still waiting on 1 more part so I wont be able to fab up the true duals. I havent driven the car in a very long time and I was wondering if theres any reason why I shouldnt drive the car around with open headers? I dont plan on taking a trip or hot rodding in town, just driving it around in general. Could running open headers cause any short or long term damage? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe to your hearing. In this nice hot weather, I woudn't think twice about it.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Maybe to your hearing. In this nice hot weather, I woudn't think twice about it.
Ditto. Open headers sound like no other. It's even on a stock cam. I ran open headers for weeks waiting on finishing the exhaust, the only time I tired of it was when people were in the car with me and I could never hear them. You owe it to yourself to go open header. Trust us, it's worth it! (now i wish i could go drive open header for a day )
Old 05-27-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think they sound too good. at idle they sound great, but at wot its the most annoying racket ive ever heard in my life. anyways, the only downside to open headers is that your car will run PIG RICH, due to the o2's being so close to the open air. what you could do is get some 12" extensions for your collectors, that ought to lean it out a bit.

Quick Reply: Any negative effects/harm/drawbacks running open headers?