Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Headers??help??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Headers??help??

I'm looking at hooker headers....ceramic or non-ceramic coated??....whats the difference....if i get non ceramic, are they shitty or peform worse?? What y pipe should i go w/? I have borla...go w/ borla or does it really matter...just go w/ hooker or what???
Old 05-30-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jbvic15
I'm looking at hooker headers....ceramic or non-ceramic coated??....whats the difference....if i get non ceramic, are they shitty or peform worse?? What y pipe should i go w/? I have borla...go w/ borla or does it really matter...just go w/ hooker or what???
Since Hooker headers are not stainless steel definitely get the coated ones. The coated LT's will last longer and keep the temperature down in the engine bay. If you're not going to maintain cats you might as well go with the Hooker ORY. If you want cats, you will probably have to have a custom Y pipe fabricated.

On edit: I think QTP makes a catted Y pipe that will work with Hooker LT's.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

I had to make my own "y-pipe" today. I have Hooker coated long tubes on my car and I just got them on yesterday. Today I tackled connecting them with the rest of my exhaust. But, all the y-pipes I found for sale, including the one from Hooker didn't really look like they would work. So, I ended up doing my own fabrication. I fabbed a pipe that went straight back, slightly up to the Mufflex 4" exhaust, and another pipe that went from the driver side collector over to the mufflex exhaust. I just cut a hole in the Mufflex pipe with a plasma cutter, welded a short piece of 3" pipe onto it with a flange and used it to connect everything. That way its a real simple job to uncork the headers. It was time consuming, about 5 hours today.

WB