Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this an Intake Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking it has been deleted. It all just runs to the catch can now.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 318 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Looks like you have nothing pulling from the crank case, so your PCV is not doing anything. Try this equally crappy drawing for what should work to fix it. Eliminate the hose with an X through it. Add the yellow and orange hoses. The orange hose should connect between the filter and turbo for vacuum. You will need a one-way check valve in the yellow hose to make sure the airflow is only toward the throttle body

Darth is correct...you need vacuum in the equation for the crankcase to be properly "evacuated"...

I can't imagine it's not burning oil also...
Old 05-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Launching!

I guess I'm unsure how I'm supposed to do this with the catch can that I have. What hoses do I need?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Its not that difficult. The two breather lines coming off the valve covers need to T into 1 line. That line needs to go to the inlet on the catch can. The outlet needs to go directly the fitting behind the throttle body. That is the only way you can get vacuum to assist pulling blow by gasses out of the engine. Also you need a PCV valve on the outlet side between the intake and catch can. I am unfamiliar with turbo setups but it looks like the turbo breather line needs to connect to the valve cover where it is capped.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Its not that difficult. The two breather lines coming off the valve covers need to T into 1 line. That line needs to go to the inlet on the catch can. The outlet needs to go directly the fitting behind the throttle body. That is the only way you can get vacuum to assist pulling blow by gasses out of the engine. Also you need a PCV valve on the outlet side between the intake and catch can. I am unfamiliar with turbo setups but it looks like the turbo breather line needs to connect to the valve cover where it is capped.
Yep- basically, your original drawing has no airflow through the crank. You need air going in and air coming out, and you need to make sure you don't pressurize the crank case. Your turbo breather needs to go to one valve cover and the inlet on the throttle needs to go to the catch can. PCV valve between other valve cover and catch can. You need a check valve between throttle and catch can to prevent pressurizing the crankcase.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but once you get it, you'll know it right away, as you'll stop smoking, and the car will run smooth
Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Can you post some pictures of what I need to do?

What kind of hoses do I need?

Will I need a different catch can?

Quick Reply: Is this an Intake Leak?