Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally Exhausted

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Totally Exhausted

I've been searching on here for a while and I didn't really see what I need.
So, the car is a 2002 Camaro SS A4. I'm looking at a ERL Sleeved LS2 block
with Callie and Compstar parts. But the big toy is a Procharger D1SC. Although
a sponsor on here thinks I should go with the F-1A head unit. But i'm not shooting for 1000 hp. I will try out 12psi on the motor with a D1SC and see what it does.

Finally my question: I know I will need a high flow exhaust for a Supercharged
427cid. Am I right to think that my Borla catback will be too small, right?
One other option is the Bassani dual catback or the Kooks CB.
There's one i'm thinking of, the 3.5" Mufflex CB with a Spintech or what other mufflers they have.

So what do all of you think? I don't want to make any mess ups. I want to install the right CB on the first try.
Thanks everyone.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2" Kook's headers in to Kook's true duals, gets my vote. Big cubes with a blower needs to breathe. I also agree the D1 is on the small side for a 427ci but it will make some power on that big motor.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the advice. Even though i'm only running 12 ps1, do you think the
D1SC will still be too small?
Thanks for help.

Den
Old 05-26-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Boost is a measure of restriction and that is all it is. You need to match the cfm capability of the blower to the motor it is going on. Bigger motors need more air volume. What will happen is the D1 will run out of steam and the motor will flat line before it is out of rpm. Put the F1 on it and do not look back. I learned the hard way by putting a P1 on a 383 = Fail!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ he's right, you think you're going to get 12 PSI with your pulley setup but in actuality it will always vary. Hell you could wind up with 15 or 9 PSI depending on so many factors. Especially if you run 2 inch headers into kooks true duals, you'll definitely lose a couple there, but will make more power due to the better exhaust flow and routing, ask the cobra guys about it.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the D1 all ready or do you still need to buy ?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

I'd go f1a cause once you start boosting you'll want more. Not that much more if buying it all new
Old 05-30-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool28
I'd go f1a cause once you start boosting you'll want more. Not that much more if buying it all new
Boost is addicting. You will ask for more !

Re: exhaust. I personally like the Kooks True duals however, my new build is coming along so slowly that I can't give you first hand comments. Many have commented that this system is loud. The Bassani system looks interesting as well but as mentioned above when working with FI at this level bigger is better & the Bassani system is only 2.5". I can say the Kooks fitment is excellent, the xpipe is functional for sound & performance & it looks like a work of art. I'm personally going to experiment with different mufflers to achieve a tone that I'm search for ( but that's my persnickety ***). Recently one of our moderators Alchemist, has achieved good results with a Stainless Works Ypipe system. Check it out it may be an option as well.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I am assuming street car? If so 2 inch headers for sure. Custom exhaust after that or the kooks true duals. If you went y pipe I would recommend the 3.5 inch mufflex flowmaster merge. I would go f1 if it were me. Wouldn't want to be limited by the blower.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Boost is a measure of restriction and that is all it is. You need to match the cfm capability of the blower to the motor it is going on. Bigger motors need more air volume. What will happen is the D1 will run out of steam and the motor will flat line before it is out of rpm. Put the F1 on it and do not look back. I learned the hard way by putting a P1 on a 383 = Fail!
very refreshing to see someone on a forum who actually understands this lol
Old 05-30-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Basani will be to small for what you are doing but i just installed mine yesterday and must say it is the best sound ive ever heard. Video dont do it justice but here.

Quick Reply: Totally Exhausted