Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a video of drone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Anyone have a video of drone?

Hey all, (I apologize if this is in the wrong forum)

This might sound silly, but what exactly is exhaust drone? I've been looking into a set of Headers with TD's, and the TSP dumped duals seem to fit within my budget nicely. However I've heard they're really drone-y. I've asked a few people what it is and I've received a half-dozen different explanations. Can anyone either explain (in a little bit of detail) what drone is, or post a video?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

the sound can only be described as sticking your head inside a tuba while it's being played.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Echo, annoying echo is how I would describe it.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
the sound can only be described as sticking your head inside a tuba while it's being played.
Lol, nailed it right here
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find the nearest GM truck with a dumped Flowmaster and ask the owner to take you for a ride....
Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Exhaust clips are tough to record - between the quality of the mic (usually a phone) and the quality of the speaker (also junk) I don't think recordings to most exhaust notes justice.

Suffice to say if a lot of people say it drones, that's bad. If you daily the car, I'd say stay away. There are usually some small changes that will get rid of it and make it bearable, so the good deal you have your eye on is probably still worth it.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Basically the noise from your exhaust system that perpetuatesperpetuates Into the cabin of your car. If you know someone with a great header and exhaust set up..ask the. For a ride..one local and highway. Do a cruise at 45 and then have him or her put it on cruise control at 45 or what ever the speed limit....then you'll hear it...a stable hum that fills the vehicles cabin. Then do it on the high way and cruise control it at 70. You'll hear the difference. I think the drone is louder on the streets then highway because of the gear and RPM that you sit on...if your cruising. I have headers then straight pipes that flow into my billy boat bullet exhaust. Sitting it hits 83 dbs. The exhaust drone sits it at 90dbs I think...

Exhaust drone is heard neither in the acceleration or deceleration or the car. It has to be a constant speed.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a video of drone?