Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Voltage? Low Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Voltage? Low Idle?

First Issue/symptom:
when the car is first turned on voltage starts out pretty high, past 13 measured about 15.5v at the batt.
as soon as car warms up for some time voltage drops to 13 and when in D and stopped voltage drops to just before red. Goes to almost 13 or halfway between if you give it gas or put in N or you raise revs.

Replaced battery because it tested bad....still same issue...replaced alt still same issue.

I just recently got the car with mods in sig. The engine was transplanted from a 99 T/A since the original hydrolocked.

I also noticed when car warms up in D and stopped car idles exactly at 500rpm according to tach, which if i understand correctly could be around 400 rpm or maybe less realtime? And in N goes to 600rpm on tach.

Could it be the idle or am i just grasping at air here? I will clean the MAF which was descreened and ported and TB.

The car runs perfect and quite smooth just this voltage and possible idle issue.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I'm going to say it's a bad Alt. If you are seeing 15+ volts at the battery with a multi-meter, the alt is overcharging the battery. 14.2 to 14.6 is typical at idle at the battery with a properly functioning Alt. Wouldn't be the first time a replacement Alt malfunctioned out of the box. Good Luck.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks, that really sucks if its the alt.

Quick Reply: Low Voltage? Low Idle?