Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Cover Seal Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing Cover Seal Failure

So I was making a pull on nitrous, and at the top of 4th (around 140) and the car filled up with smoke, and was leaving quite a trail of smoke as well. The crank seal literally popped out, was loose, just sitting against the back of the crank pulley.

I have an entirely stock PCV system, stock bottom end, heads/cam car with nitrous. The car has never used oil and barely has ever accumulated much oil in the intake manifold/throttle body.

Tearing it apart, just ordered a MM PCV style catch can and new water pump & timing cover gaskets plus a new crank seal. The seal was only 2 years old. I just want to know what other precautions I should take after I get this all back together. When the smoke show happened, I expected something much worse than a seal failure, but I definitely do not want this happening again.

Last edited by ezzlez28; 08-18-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this happen to my new forged 347ci on the dyno with a Procharger. It let loose at 5,000 rpm's and shot 5qts of oil everywhere This was also on a bone stock PCV system. I now run a vented catch can with all the rocker cover ports hooked up.

My car having positive air pressure with the blower and bigger ring gaps I just wasn't able to e-vac the crank case fast enough. In your case I would do a leak down test and make sure you didn't smoke a piston. You could be pushing all the compression in one cylinder into the crank case.

Last edited by conan; 08-18-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car still runs perfect, Im just not taking it out of the garage until the catch can is on. Mine as well run the tests while I wait for it to arrive. Just didn't expect this.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The leak down test is just to make sure you didn't hurt the motor. Hopefully it will just be the stock PCV can't keep up with speed the engine is turning over at.

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Seal Failure