Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ppls input on some upgrades!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ppls input on some upgrades!!

What's going on Tech, looking to get ppls input on a few upgrades. I have an 02 35th LE Camaro M6 with approx. 32k on it. I'm gonna be goin on my sencond deployment here soon and those who've been know we come back with a good chunk of change. Currently the car has BBK LT's into a 2'5 ORY with a single SLP LM1, has a cat delete, MSD plugs, CAI, and a full dyno which rated about 360hp/365tq.

I want to upgrade a few things and have quality parts but also don't wanna go broke. I will be redoing my whole exhaust, going with ARH LT's but with a true dual setup and I want the GMMG chamber exhaust. (Thoughts on that setup?) then I want to do a head and cam setup as well but I'm not that well known in that dept. so I've heard many cams in the camaro's and I think an LSA cam or comp cam is what I might go with but don't know which one. I definitely want it to sound aggressive but don't want it to die when it's idling. And I have no idea on the heads. I also want to do a timing chain, and UD pulley. So need input on both of those. I also want to do different injectors as well. All in all do u guys believe those upgrades would be good and which ones should I go with without going broke but also spending a good amount for a good brand? Any input would be appreciated. Car is a DD so I'm not looking to do track time, just want the power. Looking to be around the low 420's hopefully. Car is already loud and obnoxious, and I love it!! But of course I want it louder.
Attached Thumbnails Need ppls input on some upgrades!!-image.jpg  
Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Teching In

cwdub4,

I would definitely do a head/cam combo.
For the heads: I would try to pick up a pair of 243 heads from craigslist and you can do some MILD home porting (more polishing than anything) on them. They flow well and I believe are great "budget" heads.
For the cam: I would go with something around 228 and valve lift of .560-.580. There is A LOT more to specifying cams than the numbers but I'm speaking in generalizations. I wouldn't go with a monster cam for your application, as a more "mild" cam is easier on the whole assembly and still has good manners after a tune. For off the shelf cam, I would go with something like this: www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2024&gid=288. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=03c4Pl5s-Yc) Most people will suggest to spend a little more money and get a custom ground cam from Pat G or someone similar. That's your call. I would also look at upgrading the valve springs.
Timing chain: LS2 timing chain. Texas speed sells them. Heck, Summit has them for like $30. A lot beefier than stock.
Injectors: I would get a tune and see what their duty cycle is before upgrading.
If it is your daily driver, I would leave the pulley as is, but people have differing opinions on this.

I'm sure others will chime in with what they think, but all of what I said is just my opinion. YMMV

Last edited by G_rog; 08-20-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of options, so let's start with your budget, and go from there
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Thanks G_rog I appreciate the input, as far as budge I was thinking around 4G's or so.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not to burst your bubble but to do some kind of heads and cam package along with redoing your exhaust, injectors, UDP and other micellaneous and accessories all for around 4k is going to be very difficult. The only way I can see this happening is to buy most of the stuff used and then do the labor yourself.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Not to burst your bubble but to do some kind of heads and cam package along with redoing your exhaust, injectors, UDP and other micellaneous and accessories all for around 4k is going to be very difficult. The only way I can see this happening is to buy most of the stuff used and then do the labor yourself.
I agree if you go all out with everything and have someone doing the labor, 4k is going to be tough. Can you do your own labor? Or most of it? That would help a lot. I would skip the UDP and since you have an 02 you have the larger (28#) injectors if I remember correctly. I would see where your duty cycle is before replacing the injectors. I think you will be fine with the mods you have listed but just know you will be approaching the upper limit of stock injectors and fuel pump. And if you have to start replacing fuel related items, your budget will be shot.
Also remember, miscellaneous fluids and gaskets add up fast, so look into that while planning your build.
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"
Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Yea the 4 grand was for parts only I can do the labor myself. And if u guys are saying I'm good with the stock UD and injectors then I won't bother with them. And I agree on the exhaust ALONE is already half my budget.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok with you doing the labor yourself that will go a long way on a 4k budget lol. With that said here's what I'd consider....a good budget head and cam setup from a reputable source like Texas Speed maybe. Depending on how your budget is looking at that point I might consider buying the exhaust (and maybe injectors) used. All of this including all accessories, gaskets, fluids, push rods, lifters, etc, etc...might be able to be done for around 4k

Oh and don't forget tuning as well

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 08-20-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

First off....beautiful car!

IMO, save your money and leave the stock heads on. You can get a decent cam with great street manners and be around 400ish rwhp. If you want that extra power, that money you saved on heads, can go towards a nice nitrous setup. Then you'll be around a good 500rwhp

p.s. thanks for your service!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by tnmotown
First off....beautiful car! IMO, save your money and leave the stock heads on. You can get a decent cam with great street manners and be around 400ish rwhp. If you want that extra power, that money you saved on heads, can go towards a nice nitrous setup. Then you'll be around a good 500rwhp p.s. thanks for your service!
I would suggest calling Kip at cam motion for the cam, springs, etc. you'll have to dig to find someone who wasn't happy with one of his cams. Brian tooley and tick performance are also favorites for products and service.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

hey guys i know this is a few months old but, if i dont want to go with a heads and cam setup and just do the cam, which one would be best for the best performance and sound? if i dont do the heads I still need to do the springs correct?
Old 11-14-2015, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not possible to do true duals and GMMG exhaust, because you need a single exhaust pipe to hook up to GMMG, meaning you would need a y-pipe setup. If you want true duals and GMMG sound just add your own chambered mufflers like Sweet Thunder or something similar to a true dual setup.

Yes you will still need to change the springs if you do a cam. I would call your preferred sponsor and tell them what you want in the car/what your goals are and they will recommend you a camshaft and the parts to go along with it.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by X-ray
It's not possible to do true duals and GMMG exhaust, because you need a single exhaust pipe to hook up to GMMG, meaning you would need a y-pipe setup. If you want true duals and GMMG sound just add your own chambered mufflers like Sweet Thunder or something similar to a true dual setup.

Yes you will still need to change the springs if you do a cam. I would call your preferred sponsor and tell them what you want in the car/what your goals are and they will recommend you a camshaft and the parts to go along with it.
im aware that the GMMG goes into a single but if i were to cut that Y it has on it, then it would be two pipes for the true dual setup. unless im missing something here.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cwdub4
What's going on Tech, looking to get ppls input on a few upgrades. I have an 02 35th LE Camaro M6 with approx. 32k on it. I'm gonna be goin on my sencond deployment here soon and those who've been know we come back with a good chunk of change. Currently the car has BBK LT's into a 2'5 ORY with a single SLP LM1, has a cat delete, MSD plugs, CAI, and a full dyno which rated about 360hp/365tq.

I want to upgrade a few things and have quality parts but also don't wanna go broke. I will be redoing my whole exhaust, going with ARH LT's but with a true dual setup and I want the GMMG chamber exhaust. (Thoughts on that setup?) then I want to do a head and cam setup as well but I'm not that well known in that dept. so I've heard many cams in the camaro's and I think an LSA cam or comp cam is what I might go with but don't know which one. I definitely want it to sound aggressive but don't want it to die when it's idling. And I have no idea on the heads. I also want to do a timing chain, and UD pulley. So need input on both of those. I also want to do different injectors as well. All in all do u guys believe those upgrades would be good and which ones should I go with without going broke but also spending a good amount for a good brand? Any input would be appreciated. Car is a DD so I'm not looking to do track time, just want the power. Looking to be around the low 420's hopefully. Car is already loud and obnoxious, and I love it!! But of course I want it louder.
Based on your goals for power output, a simple set of ported and polished 243 heads and a mild cam good for DD duty will easily make the power you'r after.

I really like the IWIS timing chain, and I use it a lot. It is made by the same company that makes the Katech C5R chain, and it is a high quality product. For the UD pulley, I honestly am not that big on them. If you do want a good harmonic balancer though, I'd highly recommend a ATI unit.

For larger injectors that won't break the bank, I use the Fast 36 lb/hr units a lot and they are only 300.00 dollars and work very well.

I'd also suggest a trunion upgrade, Melling high pressure oil pump and you'll also need head gaskets, timing cover gasket, timing cover seal, water pump gaskets, head bolts, balancer bolt and cam bolts.

If you have decided that you don't want to do the heads, yes you'll still need to install a dual spring kit on the stock heads and you'll also need stronger chromoly push rods as well to go with the cam swap.

I may of missed it, but is this a 6 speed or an automatic?

I would love to help you with your build, and I can supply all the parts listed above along with others that have been mentioned. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
Based on your goals for power output, a simple set of ported and polished 243 heads and a mild cam good for DD duty will easily make the power you'r after.

I really like the IWIS timing chain, and I use it a lot. It is made by the same company that makes the Katech C5R chain, and it is a high quality product. For the UD pulley, I honestly am not that big on them. If you do want a good harmonic balancer though, I'd highly recommend a ATI unit.

For larger injectors that won't break the bank, I use the Fast 36 lb/hr units a lot and they are only 300.00 dollars and work very well.

I'd also suggest a trunion upgrade, Melling high pressure oil pump and you'll also need head gaskets, timing cover gasket, timing cover seal, water pump gaskets, head bolts, balancer bolt and cam bolts.

If you have decided that you don't want to do the heads, yes you'll still need to install a dual spring kit on the stock heads and you'll also need stronger chromoly push rods as well to go with the cam swap.

I may of missed it, but is this a 6 speed or an automatic?

I would love to help you with your build, and I can supply all the parts listed above along with others that have been mentioned. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask!
i sent you a PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Responded to your PM Cwdub!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you would like, give us a call at (512) 863-0900 or e-mail me if it is more convenient at lonnie@texas-speed.com. I would be more than happy to go over all of your details and goals with you to help you select the right combination and put a full quote together for you so you can get all of your parts from one source.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: Need ppls input on some upgrades!!