Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default idle issue

Bought an 02 slp ss with 60k on it last week and ran great at operating temp. I put it away over thanksgiving and when I got back into town I started it and let it run for about 20 minutes since it was raining out. Didn't want to idle until it was almost to operating temp so I kept it around 1k rpm. Tried to do the same this morning and it did the samething. It does have a cam and a fast 102. I didn't have much time but I pulled the lid and noticed the k&n filter was in there without a tray.... looked some more and seen the maf has been descreened. Could no tray be causing this idle issue? Car started fine the day I bought it several times and even after sitting for hours. I also left it idling with no issues while I checked out the rest of the car. The throttle body doesn't have a hole drilled. I plan to inspect the intake and hoses this weekend to make sure there aren'tany leaks but I don't think that's the issue. Any help is appreciated
Old 12-03-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly doubt it is the tray Which is referred to as the Free Ram Air mod. Ses light on?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Launching!

The tray that holds the filter in place is missing. The plastic you cut underneath that for that mod is still there I believe, I don't remember seeing it cut but I'm not around the car atm. No ses light. I'm guessing the filter isn't being held up to allow it to seal to the lid but idk if that'd effect idle?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your intake have egr? Could be a leaky egr, it'll run rough at idle but at higher rpm it will smooth out.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Launching!

No egr

Last edited by Arctic_Z; 12-04-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Launching!

No telling how long the filter was like that so I sprayed the throttle body with cleaner and I'm going to pick up some maf cleaner and clean that also and probably some electrical cleaner and spray the sensors while I'm at it. Hopefully it's that simple
Old 12-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Update:
Threw out the k&n for a wix filter and I'm still waiting for the filter tray in the mail, but I'm confident that isn't the issue. Cleaned the MAF with maf cleaner. Sprayed Throttle body, cleaned iac and tps. Ops checked the iac and it's good. Checked the bellow for a tear or hole and it's good. Looked around the visible parts of the intake and hoses and can't find any issues. i disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it seemed to idle better at first but it will bounce from around 800-1500 rpm even when warm. I got it to level out some and put it in reverse to see what it'd do and it died.

Car does need retuned for the intake but it drove fine a week ago, only issue was rapid stops would sometimes stall it but it'd fire right back up with no issue, or I'd throw it in neutral to give it time to catch itself.

Mild cam, 3600 stall, fast 102

Car hasn't thrown any codes.

headers have block off plates for air system, lid still has the tube going to the pump and the tube on fender well isn't blocked??
Old 12-06-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

The tube, though causing unfiltered air to enter, isn't causing unmetered air to enter. It's not a good thing, but also shouldn't cause idle issues.

Also dig the k&n out of the trash and sell it! I'm sure someone would be willing to pay half of retail for a used k&n. I bought mine used for like 35$ or something. That's easy money on your part.

The descreened maf may be a cause, I've heard of issues when descreening them. Contrary to what some think, the screen isn't a filter or there to catch anything. It's there to make sure the air flows over the wires in the maf correctly to get an accurate air flow reading.

Sure descreening can allow a tiny amount of better flow through the maf, but it can also lead to inaccurate maf readings.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Yeah I removed the air pump fuse and relay. I'm going to get a plug for the lid now. If i get time I'm going to unplug the maf and see how it runs. I really wish the maf wasn't descreened but that's how it was when I got it so.

Quick Reply: idle issue