Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a bitta help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a bitta help!!

hey guys im from Australia, my car decided to pop a comp 918 valve spring, sitting at a set of lights taking off and my car spluttered and farted and i just made it to some where i could pull over thank god!!

so got it towed home pulled the heads off and wadda you know. the bit** decided to kiss the piston, fast foward. pulled both heads off sent them away to be machine, valve grinded new springs and new stem seals ( it was blowing oil out the exhaust at WOT) and a new intake valve. i tought id post a picture and a few questions here.

how do i go about shaving the burrs off that (not sure if there is in) how do i clean the piston top and best way to get the block mating surface nice and clean and smooth? i was thinking a non scratch scotch bright pad?

i think the photo actually makes it look worse then it is..

thanks again guys. love how everybody is helpful unlike the other forums!
Attached Thumbnails need a bitta help!!-12631096_1585414075031418_273386697_o.jpg  
Old 01-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hello Dat, Bill here I don't know if you have an air powered (we call a wizzer) it takes a 1/4 inch shaft and there is many different things you can put in it like a cut off wheel anyways scotch brite make these pads like the scrub pads but harder they are like 2 inches across and they work great way better than wire wheels that is what will do everything you need. they screw into a holder that goes in the wizzer. hope I helped you good luck
Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yep, scotch bright will fix you right up. I am sure you know they make different grits. On your pistons, you can get a little more aggressive. You won't be able to remove the dimple, in fact, don't try, but do take the shape spots off of it to reduce the hot spots on the piston. I am sure someone will say you need to take apart the short block because of the dimple, but unless this is a ALL out race car, spinning 7500rpms, you'll be fine. I ran around with 3 pistons that had notches cut in them, and 5 that didn't, for more than 3 years, and many, many track days. When it happened, it was a "spur of the moment" thing. EVERYONE told me, the motor would self destruct, and I wasn't sure, but we were all surprised that it kept living.

Quick Reply: need a bitta help!!