Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for y pipe with most ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for y pipe with most ground clearance?

I've had a Kooks catted y pipe on my 4th gen for almost 7 years, since I got the car basically. I love it and the sound that comes with it but I've always had issues with either the cats or the pipe itself scraping on certain entrances or exits, but it hasn't been too big of an issue if I go at an angle.

I am in the process of closing on a house that my girlfriend and I are in love with, however the driveway is quite steep and my camaro simply won't fit down the driveway because of how low the y pipe hangs. I can park it on the street for now, but ideally I'd like to keep it in the driveway. There is definitely room for the exhaust to be tucked up closer to the body. Is there any aftermarket product that would fit better than Kooks, or would a custom pipe from a local shop be a better option? Also don't say delete the cats because I don't want to have legality issues. Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I actually gained ground clearance going from Y-pipe to X-pipe / true duals. I scraped all the time on my Y-pipe, and only twice since installing the duals.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I actually gained ground clearance going from Y-pipe to X-pipe / true duals. I scraped all the time on my Y-pipe, and only twice since installing the duals.
I can believe that. I would love a true dual x pipe setup but I'm not sure if I'll have the money for that, I really quite like my Borla cat back and I'd hate to scrap the whole thing just from clearance issues on the Y pipe.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:02 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My personal opinion:

If it's stainless (from Kooks, it should be) I'd MUCH rather spend just a little money and take it to a shop that can weld stainless. Have them cut and tweak what needs to be done and enjoy it.

The biggest reason I loved my TSP duals was because mine were mild steel so I went to a local muffler shop and we spent about an hour getting everything PERFECT.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 3" stainless ORY from speed engineering tucks up real tight.. I'm lowered 1.5" so that was was a huge bonus for me. Lots of room to make adjustments since it was multiple pieces.. very cheap too!
Old 02-20-2016, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess sharing table these pics would help.. 1.5" lowered.. my damn LM2 bullet muffler hangs the lowest lol.. not sure how low the cats would be if if had them though.. just noticed you said you need to keep them

Quick Reply: Options for y pipe with most ground clearance?