Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Corsa with "American Thunder" Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spintech. go with spinech
Old 06-16-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the 80 serie's chokmaster and I like the way it sound's but every one is right on how it flows . That's is why I put a cutout on to open when I run my car at the track.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The best bang for your $$ is going to depend on what you want. Good sound or all out performance. I say this because exhaust advice is like dating advice, everyone has an opinion...and they're neither "right or wrong."

There's been a ton of recommendations for the Magnaflow. I HAD the Magnaflow on my car. I downright hated it. It was barely louder than the stock muffler and for all the great flow numbers, I didn't see more than a couple tenths at the track.

As for the Flowmaster, it gets slandered more than Michael Jackson. I think part of it is because the Flowmaster is readily available and cheap. (It also seems to be associated with the toothless redneck crowd, which doesn't help either ) I will readily agree that the Flowmaster doesn't have as good of flow numbers as a Magnaflow. But, you can get it in a 3" in and out setup. Don't let people kid you that dual 2.5" outlets is no difference than 3"!! It DOES make a difference, both in muffler flow output and in the bass tone of the exhaust.

I'm running the Flowmaster cat-back now. It provides a good gain over stock, and #'s or not, I can't feel a power diference between it and the Magnaflow I threw out. Nobody's butt-ometer is so finely calibrated that they will feel the possible 2 or 3HP difference between these two systems. I'm sure at the track I might be .1 second slower. Heck, a bad reaction time at the starting tree could cost me more time than that!

Bottom line, go with what makes you happy. Since you go to the track every week, that .1 second may be all that matters. If that's the case, then go for the Magnaflow. If you want an intimidating exhaust rumble to enjoy on the street (which is where my car spends 95% of it's time), I can't give a better recommendation for the $$ than the Flowmaster.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 06-16-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6

Stock muffler- ~200 cfm flow
Flow 80 series- ~360 cfm
Magnaflow- ~1100 cfm

[/url]
How does the Hooker aerochamber muffler compare to Magnaflow?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schantin
Don't let people kid you that dual 2.5" outlets is no difference than 3"!! It DOES make a difference, both in muffler flow output and in the bass tone of the exhaust.

How can a 3" inlet put more flow into a muffler than two 2.5" outlets can handle?
The fact is that two 2.5" pipes flow way more than one 3", so going to two 3" pipes is still overkill and irrelevant. Then when you consider that the exhaust gasses shrink while they travel through the exhaust, even less pipe is need out of the muffler than in.
There is NO benefit to two 3" outs over two 2.5" outs.
If there was, Blowmaster would flow better than other mufflers.

How does the Hooker aerochamber muffler compare to Magnaflow?
Hooker flows in the 900s cfm.
MagnaFlow is right at 1100 cfm.
Flowmieser is 360 cfm.
DynoMouth and LM flow over 2200 cfm.
Dave
Old 06-16-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ratio411
Hooker flows in the 900s cfm.
MagnaFlow is right at 1100 cfm.
Flowmieser is 360 cfm.
DynoMouth and LM flow over 2200 cfm.
Dave
Cool! For Hooker being a "chambered" muffler it flows pretty good wouldn't ya say?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has to do with the design of the chamber. If you have ever seen inside the Hooker muffler, you would see chamber walls that are gentle curves and cones making a very smooth funnel type situation for the flow to follow. The FM is wall after wall and square corners for the gasses to flow around. To get through the chambers the flow has to bounce around aimlessly until it happens to go to the next chamber. That is part of what makes the 'Flowmaster' sound.
Dave
Old 06-16-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ratio411
It has to do with the design of the chamber. If you have ever seen inside the Hooker muffler, you would see chamber walls that are gentle curves and cones making a very smooth funnel type situation for the flow to follow. The FM is wall after wall and square corners for the gasses to flow around. To get through the chambers the flow has to bounce around aimlessly until it happens to go to the next chamber. That is part of what makes the 'Flowmaster' sound.
Dave
Very informative, thanks.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:53 AM
Teching In

Thank You Schantin. I Agree With You Totally.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:05 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flowmaster cat-back sounds kick ***; I like mine.