Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

Im wanting to put headers on my 99 trans am and want to hear from you guys your set up for them and any mods you had to do for them as well. Just trying to get a feel of what the best option would be.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Same hear. I am leaning towards a used set of Pacesetters or something like that. Not the ones that cost a grand.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Speed Engineering makes a nice inexpensive set.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

I had TSP 1 7/8" and I thought they were awesome. Nothing extra on install, just jack the car up as high as you can, turn the headers like you were going to stand them up on end (on the single collection pipe), and they slide right in from the bottom. It's kind of crazy how easy they go in, but if the car isn't high enough in the air, you'll be fighting it.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
I had TSP 1 7/8" and I thought they were awesome. Nothing extra on install, just jack the car up as high as you can, turn the headers like you were going to stand them up on end (on the single collection pipe), and they slide right in from the bottom. It's kind of crazy how easy they go in, but if the car isn't high enough in the air, you'll be fighting it.
Yes. Gotta get the car up high and they go in real easy. I went with Speed engineering myself, excellent quality and stainless steel to boot.
But if you can find a set of used pacesetter's for around $100.00 bucks that will work. I had mine for 10 years, and though the area around the collectors were starting to rust, the primary tubes looked great. They were the ceramic coated one's.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dannyz
Yes. Gotta get the car up high and they go in real easy. I went with Speed engineering myself, excellent quality and stainless steel to boot.
But if you can find a set of used pacesetter's for around $100.00 bucks that will work. I had mine for 10 years, and though the area around the collectors were starting to rust, the primary tubes looked great. They were the ceramic coated one's.
Okay, appreciate the replies. Did you see any noticeable power gains between the pacesetter and speed?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

+1 for Speed Engineering. Headers slid in real easy and are a quality piece. Great value too!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My TSP's went in with no problem, good fitment and got them for 350 used with a ORY.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I assume you know you will need a new Y-pipe to go with the headers. The rest is optional, but good to do at the same time especially before getting a tune (catback, lid, CAI, motor mounts, plugs...)
Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I got the TSP headers, they're beating the **** out of the bottom of my car. The CD player skips. Passengers side has one tube laying up against the bell housing. I took a 2 pound hammer and beat the bottom of the car on the drivers side just to get the y-pipe over the collector. May just be a BAD set. Had to pull motor mount and the bracket just to get the header in on the drivers side.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z51C6
I got the TSP headers, they're beating the **** out of the bottom of my car. The CD player skips. Passengers side has one tube laying up against the bell housing. I took a 2 pound hammer and beat the bottom of the car on the drivers side just to get the y-pipe over the collector. May just be a BAD set. Had to pull motor mount and the bracket just to get the header in on the drivers side.
Did you buy them used or was your car in an accident? Either that or it was a bad set. They shouldn't be hitting the bottom of the car, it may be your y pipe where it connects to your exhaust? Something isn't right man.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Who still uses CD's

Yeah, you definitely have a bad set. Before you went to beating on it did you CALL Texas Speed and send them any pics? I mean it does happen from time to time.

Were motor mounts swapped to Poly's?
Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have TSP 1-3/4" headers and ORY. Did poly motor mounts at the same time and have the same problem. They didn't exactly slide in easily and now I do have some hitting on the DS floorboard and in the trunk where my exhaust goes over the axle. Of course my car is lowered so that may have something to do with it. I didn't break out the BFH to make them fit though. I hate the rasp and the fact that 90% of the exhaust flow comes out the PS due to my Borla exhaust system. I'm going to go true dual next and fix all the clearance issues then. Oh and it took my brother and I who have been working on various cars and hotrods our whole life, 14 hours so do this job. LoL. Not complaining though. Car runs like a scalded dog now.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VirginBlacktop
I have TSP 1-3/4" headers and ORY. Did poly motor mounts at the same time and have the same problem. They didn't exactly slide in easily and now I do have some hitting on the DS floorboard and in the trunk where my exhaust goes over the axle. Of course my car is lowered so that may have something to do with it. I didn't break out the BFH to make them fit though. I hate the rasp and the fact that 90% of the exhaust flow comes out the PS due to my Borla exhaust system. I'm going to go true dual next and fix all the clearance issues then. Oh and it took my brother and I who have been working on various cars and hotrods our whole life, 14 hours so do this job. LoL. Not complaining though. Car runs like a scalded dog now.
Not sure if you have the plates that came with your borla or not, but I did some reading and found that people said a 3/4" plate worked best for the raspiness. So I went and got some sheet metal and a tin snip, made a 3/4" hole and put the plate in. It honestly does sound better than all of the other ones and hardly has any rasp.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if you have the plates that came with your borla or not, but I did some reading and found that people said a 3/4" plate worked best for the raspiness. So I went and got some sheet metal and a Tim snip, made a 3/4" hole and put the plate in. It honestly does sound better than all of the other ones and hardly has any rasp.
I've heard about the plates. Where do they go in? The car has been in my family since 2001 and already had the Borla exhaust. It was otherwise bone stock until I took possession of it last year. I don't have any plates or really know anything about the Borla. I learn as I do. LoL
Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

I've heard about the plates. Where do they go in? The car has been in my family since 2001 and already had the Borla exhaust. It was otherwise bone stock until I took possession of it last year. I don't have any plates or really know anything about the Borla. I learn as I do. LoL
If you look under the back pass side exhaust outlet, you'll see a triangle shaped plate about a foot or so in with 3 bolts on it. Take those bolts off and that is where the plate sits. If most of the sounds comes out that side now, it sounds like it does t have one in it. That's why it's so raspy sounding. Mine was horrible between 1800-2200rpms.

Edit: it's just a real thin triangle plate with three bolt holes in it. You can completely block it off and make it go through your muffler if you wanted to. It slide right between the two pieces where your exhaust meets up.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

If you look under the back pass side exhaust outlet, you'll see a triangle shaped plate about a foot or so in with 3 bolts on it. Take those bolts off and that is where the plate sits. If most of the sounds comes out that side now, it sounds like it does t have one in it. That's why it's so raspy sounding. Mine was horrible between 1800-2200rpms.

Edit: it's just a real thin triangle plate with three bolt holes in it. You can completely block it off and make it go through your muffler if you wanted to. It slide right between the two pieces where your exhaust meets up.
Man I really appreciate the info. I'll look into that. I don't mind the car being loud but the rasp sucks. You say a 3/4" hole works well for you? I'm doing an LS6 intake swap hopefully this weekend (weather permitting) so I'll add that to the list of things to do.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Man I really appreciate the info. I'll look into that. I don't mind the car being loud but the rasp sucks. You say a 3/4" hole works well for you? I'm doing an LS6 intake swap hopefully this weekend (weather permitting) so I'll add that to the list of things to do.
Yeah a 3/4" hole worked the best for me. That's seems to be the census with everyone. I tried a 1" and it was too much and tried a 1/2" and it wasn't quite loud enough for me. So I made a 3/4" and it worked the best.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah a 3/4" hole worked the best for me. That's seems to be the census with everyone. I tried a 1" and it was too much and tried a 1/2" and it wasn't quite loud enough for me. So I made a 3/4" and it worked the best.
Awesome, thanks again. My apologies OP for hijacking your thread. I'll move along now. LoL
Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CoreyD
+1 for Speed Engineering. Headers slid in real easy and are a quality piece. Great value too!
Are these built in China like all of the other sub-$1000.00 long tubes??

Quick Reply: Headers