Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowest profile intake hose options

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowest profile intake hose options

I've been trying to search, maybe I'm using the wrong terms but I'm coming up empty.

I've got about 4" between my TB (stock LS1) and radiator fan shroud. Looks like most of the 90 degree 4" to 3.5" elbows require at least 5".

Are there any options for a lower profile bend? I'd rather not weld pipe onto the TB but I can do that if its a must. I've seen some bubble shaped bends in the 3" size before but cannot remember for the life of me what people call them, sort of look like forced induction carb hats.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check here maybe? https://www.intakehoses.com/
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
I did, but thanks. Their 4" to 3.5" reducer has a 'height' of 6.5", and it looks like 1.5" can be removed until you get to the radius. Its where I got that 5" number from.

Edit: its a Volvo 240. I've got very limited space between my core support and the TB, unlike you F-body guys who have miles in front.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolvo
I did, but thanks. Their 4" to 3.5" reducer has a 'height' of 6.5", and it looks like 1.5" can be removed until you get to the radius. Its where I got that 5" number from.

Edit: its a Volvo 240. I've got very limited space between my core support and the TB, unlike you F-body guys who have miles in front.
I used a Spectre 90 P/N 9781 on my Hombre, it was an abrupt 90 degree silicone elbow with a different length on each end. Pretty sure it will get you to the same place though, as fundamentally a 90 degree elbow with a 4" diameter will require more than 4" of distance from the throttle body. You may need to do some reducing elbow, then expand it if you don't want to touch.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

I used a place called hosepimp, called the shop and they were able to custom make mine to what I needed.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I used a Spectre 90 P/N 9781 on my Hombre, it was an abrupt 90 degree silicone elbow with a different length on each end. Pretty sure it will get you to the same place though, as fundamentally a 90 degree elbow with a 4" diameter will require more than 4" of distance from the throttle body. You may need to do some reducing elbow, then expand it if you don't want to touch.
Thanks, that Hombre is pretty neat too.

I don't really care about having a 4" intake, F-body MAF is only 3.5" anyways and its gonna stay a stock LS1 forever. I don't even have room for headers, just front dumped stock manifolds.

Is that Spectre piece hard (advertised as PVC)? Figure I'll try something cheap I can cut and if it doesnt fit, TIG some 3.5" aluminum pipe on the TB and call it a day.

Although it'll suck if i change my mind on filter placement aha
Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by abern310
I used a place called hosepimp, called the shop and they were able to custom make mine to what I needed.
Thanks. His wall thickness is pretty high and gives me even less clearance.

Not trying to make any real power here
Old 05-09-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, that Hombre is pretty neat too.

I don't really care about having a 4" intake, F-body MAF is only 3.5" anyways and its gonna stay a stock LS1 forever. I don't even have room for headers, just front dumped stock manifolds.

Is that Spectre piece hard (advertised as PVC)? Figure I'll try something cheap I can cut and if it doesnt fit, TIG some 3.5" aluminum pipe on the TB and call it a day.

Although it'll suck if i change my mind on filter placement aha
Huh, my Spectre elbow wasn't PVC, but it was more firm than the silicone elbows I had from other projects. Weird, maybe they make it in other MOCs... in that case, don't trust my P/N. But the elbow I got from them is shaped that way, sharp 90 with a different length on each end.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Huh, my Spectre elbow wasn't PVC, but it was more firm than the silicone elbows I had from other projects. Weird, maybe they make it in other MOCs... in that case, don't trust my P/N. But the elbow I got from them is shaped that way, sharp 90 with a different length on each end.
Adding an extra 1 to the end of that P/N comes up with the same elbow made out of EDPM, whatever that is. Looks a lot more flexible, not recommended for forced induction ect. so I assume its much softer.

But its like 42$ as opposed to 22$ for the PVC one. However, the PVC model also comes with hose clamps so I assume it is also flexible.

Anyways, thanks for the help!
Old 05-09-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Adding an extra 1 to the end of that P/N comes up with the same elbow made out of EDPM, whatever that is. Looks a lot more flexible, not recommended for forced induction ect. so I assume its much softer.

But its like 42$ as opposed to 22$ for the PVC one. However, the PVC model also comes with hose clamps so I assume it is also flexible.

Anyways, thanks for the help!
I just checked back in my 2015 eBay history... it was 9781 that I purchased. So that P/N is for a firmer but still somewhat flexible elbow. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2024, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the performance designs lS3 intake it's very low profile for the runner length that you get, which is going to be needed in a plane . if you give them a call, they might actually have some ideas how to reduce the height even further if you're wouldn't compromise on airflow. As The torque needed is much more important than the total horsepower. In a plane, it may be ideal to keep as long of a runner as possible. Worst case, if you need to reduce horsepower, you could always limit throttle blade actuationWorst case, if you need to reduce horsepower, you could always limit throttle blade activation.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 484 Likes on 339 Posts

I know this is an 8 year old thread, but I seriously doubt the OP has managed to turn a Volvo 240 into an airplane yet.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Lowest profile intake hose options