Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on installing LT headers and tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on installing LT headers and tuning

I've read a bunch of write up on installing LT headers and y-pipe. This will be my first time installing a full exhaust so just want to make sure I have everything down right the first time. Here is the list of what I think I need. (for an 01 trans am)

-Long tube headers
-y-pipe no cats
-24in o2 extensions (pair)
-air block of plate
-band clamps
-new gaskets
-tuner

As for a tuner I was looking at a SCT X4, will I need a customer tune to turn off the SES light for the air delete? Online it say it can turn off the rear o2 sensors, but nothing about the air system. I will be using a lift from work to do this. Any advice would be great as its my first time doing this. The only mods to the car right now are an SLP lid and Hurst shifter.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

You don't have anyone local to do a dyno tune? I did the same thing and drove a hundred miles to get a good dyno tune.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Teching In

I do, I live in near Columbus Ohio. But they are wanting around $599 for just a flash.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NineZeroFive
You don't have anyone local to do a dyno tune? I did the same thing and drove a hundred miles to get a good dyno tune.
If you know someone in the Columbus Ohio let me know. I'm trying to learn how to work on my car. Tired of paying stupid money for things that I know I can do if someone showed me how.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I found I had a few leaks even with nice band clamps. Consider having some exhaust pipe sealant, the stuff made specifically for exhausts. At Advance Auto it's stuff in like 8 oz tube and it's gray. It is not rtv rubber/silicone it hardens.
I have to grind a little bit of my K member and a boss on the driver side of the block to get just a few more mm of clearance.
I got a tune on-dyno (nearly 150 miles away) that ran me around $550 but I think it was worth it, from a guy with a good reputation. Gained good HP and got rid of a bad lean condition & knocking I had for years but didn't know about.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

http://www.customls1tuning.com/services.html

Here ya go. He's even in the same town you lucky bastard haha.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NineZeroFive
http://www.customls1tuning.com/services.html

Here ya go. He's even in the same town you lucky bastard haha.
Looking for more of a hand held tuner that someone can send a custome tune to me via email then I can download it to the tuner. Also trying to find a good write up on how to remove the air system.

Quick Reply: Advice on installing LT headers and tuning