Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pressure Gauge installation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Gauge installation.

So I bought a fuel pressure gauge to connect to my fuel rail and I tried putting it on as is and all I got was a bath of 93 octane. So I need some type of sealant that can go in between the threaded components of the gauge and the adapter that comes with it. What do you guys recommend?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Trujillo
So I bought a fuel pressure gauge to connect to my fuel rail and I tried putting it on as is and all I got was a bath of 93 octane. So I need some type of sealant that can go in between the threaded components of the gauge and the adapter that comes with it. What do you guys recommend?

That's odd. Adapter should fit & seal over the swage fitting. Adapter should also have the tab to depress the plunger in the fitting. It's not a good idea to use a high pressure fuel line fitting that does not self seal.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1-450
That's odd. Adapter should fit & seal over the swage fitting. Adapter should also have the tab to depress the plunger in the fitting. It's not a good idea to use a high pressure fuel line fitting that does not self seal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-PONTIA...FDThnA&vxp=mtr

That's the kit I bought, and it says to use Teflon tape to seal it, but doesn't Teflon tape get eaten up by fuel?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

That's the kit I bought, and it says to use Teflon tape to seal it, but doesn't Teflon tape get eaten up by fuel?
I've done it a few times, I removed the Schroeder valve and installed with Permatex Form-a-gasket 2 or Aviation form-a-gasket. Pretty sticky stuff.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I've done it a few times, I removed the Schroeder valve and installed with Permatex Form-a-gasket 2 or Aviation form-a-gasket. Pretty sticky stuff.
Ok, I'll try that tonight, thanks!
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How to choose thread sealant for fuel applications

To choose the appropriate thread sealant, look for it's chemical resistance to fuel (diesel or gasoline) or oil running through the line. Backyard mechanics will tell you they've used regular old gas resistant teflon tape (yellow stuff) with success. This is not recommended because it risks breaking free. Liquid or paste type thread sealants are kinder to sensitive components down stream. Mechanics repairing injectors, fuel pumps and carburetors can tell you first hand it is not uncommon to trace fault in the fuel component to clogging from a piece of teflon tape that washed off the ends of the threads, clogging in the first tiny micron orifice it encounters, if not the fuel pump then an injector or carburetor gallery. Either way it's a costly repair. Liquid or paste type sealant won't clog. For gasoline, regular old gasoline resistant Aviation Form-a-gasket Number 3 is the best option. Another product also offered by Permatex is the High Temperature Thread Sealant. Tech data on this sealant says it has medium solvent resistance and is recommended for fuel sender type applications. With the advent of ethanol present in modern gasoline, I favor Form-a-gasket No. 3 which specifically states solvent resistance to gasoline, especially on modern engines that use injectors rather than carburetors such as the E-TEC and HPDI (high pressure direct injection) and any diesel engine.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Home Depot sells "yellow" Teflon tape. That is what is used for fuel & oils. White is only for "water" or non corrosive liquids like fuel.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Gauge installation.