Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help guys , i'm out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help guys , i'm out of ideas

Ok guys here's the run down. I've got a 98 ws6 trans am. Motor has 60k on it. Started noticing funny oil pressure readings both erratic and lower than usual. I put a manual guage at the port on the front drivers side and at the ops port and both read the same 40 psi cold idle, 50 psi cold at 2k rpm, 10psi hot idle and it builds pressure to 40 almost instantly hot but WILL NOS go over 40 psi hot. So I dropped the pan and put a 10296 pump in it and a new pickup tube oring as well as an ls2 timing chain. Put everything back together and it does the same damn thing!!! No knock no noise or anything. The car runs great but I do not feel comfortable with those pressures. I'm also running a wix filter and amsoil 5w40 oil. I'm out of ideas and hoping someone has had a similar issue. If it builds pressure that fast and just dead stops at 40 psi I can't see it being a bearing issue, seems like a pressure relief but the old and new pump both did the same thing.any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a video if I can get it to post so you can see for yourself. 6k rpm and 40 psi from 1500 up to the 6k.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Oh and I triple checked the oring and it was not pinched. I got the blue ring straight from GM as well.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Just noticed I posted in external engine. Can a moderator please move this to gen 3 internal engine please
Old 06-04-2016, 02:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change the oil and filter. Could be a bad bypass. Mech gauge reads low too? No oil leaks from the usual spots? Pressure sender, cooler adapter, etc? Did you pull the cam retainer plate off recently? That seal can leak internally. Could be a cam bearing that's migrating, but doubt it.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe the Barbell under the rear cover popped the o-ring?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 AM
Teching In

70 camaro I'm currently kicking myself in the *** for not pulling the. Cam retainer plate while I was I the motor that far I did check the bolt torque on the cover and it was ok . That doesn't mean it's not leaking though. The mechanical guage reads low as well, the front port before the filter reads slightly higher but I would assume that's because it's a few inches from the pump with no pressure loss from the filter and housing. It doesn't leak any oil at all, the only thing I found when I tore it down to replace the pump was the timing cover/crank seal was completely shot,hardly anything left of it.the filter and oil are fresh as well.

Quick Reply: Need help guys , i'm out of ideas