Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad fuel smell in cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad fuel smell in cab

Hi All.
I have a 5.3 with a ls6 intake in my 64 El Camino daily driver and have ran this for about 8 month's with no issues till now. I started getting a MAS flt around a month ago and started getting a gas smell in the cab on hot days no traces of smell when cooler till last night it was unbearable. If I was not speeding up the smell would dissipate if accelerating I was getting gassed bad. The evap set up is a catch can system with a return line back to the TB. I looked for a sign of leakage but found nothing. The plug at the back of the intake with the intake manifold pressure sensor does rotate freely loose dont know if this might be where the smell can come from. Is it possible one intake gasket to head failed.
Sniffing around with my nose I checked the air filter no fuel smell at the TB I did get fuel smell but Im sure thats normal. I also visually inspected each injector looking for fuel leak signs and all looked ok.

Any hep or ideas are appreciated TIA
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Still looking into this I did find my fuel pressure leaking down from 58 to 30 lbs in one half hour. this is from the connection at the fuel rail back eliminating the fuel rails completely.
Ill get under the car tomorrow to look for any leaks and probably replace the hose completely.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a bunch of stainless braided hose on it? If so the rubber lining will weep gas & stink the cab, garage & everywhere. I learned that the hard way & swapped all my hose over to the teflon braided hose & problem fixed.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by krowey
Do you have a bunch of stainless braided hose on it? If so the rubber lining will weep gas & stink the cab, garage & everywhere. I learned that the hard way & swapped all my hose over to the teflon braided hose & problem fixed.
Yes sir and thanks I had to swap to the teflon fuel hose to problem solved

Quick Reply: Bad fuel smell in cab