Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding cats that will fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help finding cats that will fit

2002 Camaro SS
LS1

Exhaust System:
- Kooks LT Headers (3" out)
- Pace Setter Y-Pipe (dual 3" In to the single 3" Out, NO Catalytic Converters)
-Corsa Exhaust system (single 3" in)

Stock suspension height/ground clearance. Currently have a bypass plug/chip installed in the rear O2 sensor plug. (I believe it is failing because the computer is starting to throw emissions codes referencing that sensor. P0135, P1133, etc.)

Currently the system has NO Catalytic Converters. Now that I live in an emissions County (Harris County, Houston, TX) I need it to pass, therefore I need a pair of cats.

The exhaust specialty shop I went to said they can't do it because of the lack of clearance between where the cat is supposed to be installed and where the fuel & Brake lines are. The mechanic looking at it said the heat would cause vapor lock.

Looking underneath I see that the passenger-side pipe can easily accommodate a small diameter cat. But the driver's-side pipe is factory crimped (flattened?) to allow clearance from the floor panel. It doesn't appear to have any room for a cat until it joins up at the "Y" intersection.

The Kooks brand catted Y-pipes (that are supposed to go with their LT headers) have a single output that is only 2.5" and that won't match up to my 3" Corsa system, so that's out.

My qustions:
1.) I doubt that I can get away with just installing a single Catalytic converter mounted after the "Y" intersection (with O2 sensor bung & all) and before the Corsa muffler and pass the emissions. Am I wrong in thinking this?

2.) Are there any Catalytic Converters out there that would work in this setup? I know there is not a lot of room to work with and, either way, I will be installing heat shielding to protect the brake & fuel lines.

3.) After getting the cats installed I will need to get the engine properly tuned. This is a daily driver with a lot of highway miles on it so I'm not looking for a purpose-built aggressive track car. If there is anyone in the Houston area that knows of a good shop that does tuning (besides Hennessey, don't think I can afford them - No matter how badly I'd like them to do it!).

Any help or advice in this would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Need help finding cats that will fit