Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Trans Am Overheating, help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Trans Am Overheating, help...

Hey guys, new to all of this, but a couple days ago i was in a hurry and had to put oil in my car and didn't have a funnel handy. so some oil had spilled onto the belts. The following day, the car started overheating while driving. The coolant levels are good, i see no puddles forming from any sort of leaks, there is no steam coming from the radiator and no visible cracks. The car is fine when idle, but then when beginning to drive, it climbs to red, sometimes dropping back to ~208 as normal, just to rise again. After noticing, i haven't driven it any further. Also, the belts appear to not be stuttering/stopping. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like its not the thermostat, simply because i know others running without a thermostat. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your thermostat is sticking that would explain the rise to red (closed stat) and eventually dropping to normal levels (open stat). Make sure your coolant is topped off and run it again. If the upper hose stays hard until the temp finally drops back to normal, you have a blockage which is probably the t-stat.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input, I'm going to take it out and replace tomorrow. Hopefully the issue will be solved from this...

Quick Reply: '99 Trans Am Overheating, help...