Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in starters for ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in starters for ls1

I recently did a t56 swap on an 04 5.3 and now I have developed starter issues. Before I did the swap it would start up perfectly fine even on a low charged battery. I compared the flywheel to the pressure plate before starting the install after I removed the 4l60e and all the teeth matched up fine. Is there supposed to be a higher torque starter that is required when you swap the t56? It is intermittent and hard to pinpoint why it happens but when it does it just clicks over and over like a starter going bad. On other days it start's right up.....changed the starter and is still doing the same thing. I used an 04 truck starter. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All the wire connections good? Did you loosen a ground strap?
Sounds electrical to me.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
All the wire connections good? Did you loosen a ground strap?
Sounds electrical to me.
Yep, starters are the same between transmissions.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yep, starters are the same between transmissions.
see that's what I thought. I did move the battery from behind my seat to the back in the truck bed and I'm wondering if having it sit in the back inside of a black marine box is affecting it as well. I read somewhere too that the 6.0 starter had a little more torque. I am having my battery charged right now anyways and took the new starter back cause I highly doubt it was that anyways. Not wasting 175 bucks for something that isn't even wrong. I didn't mess with any wires either by the way
Old 10-26-2016, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Most likely you have a poor connection somewhere, or didn't use a heavy enough cable. Moving the battery further from the starter requires a heavier cable. Be sure to check your ground connections.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by .boB
Most likely you have a poor connection somewhere, or didn't use a heavy enough cable. Moving the battery further from the starter requires a heavier cable. Be sure to check your ground connections.
gotcha. Yeah I am leaning more towards the cable's I used and how long theyou actually are. It's about 6ft from the starter. I think I'm just moving the battery back to behind the seat
Old 11-03-2016, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well after moving my battery behind my seat I ended up with the same issue. Turns out after checking all my grounds that one ground was corroded out and hanging on by a few little wires. Replaced that and added 2 more ground and she fires right up everytime. Thanks for the help everyone

Quick Reply: Differences in starters for ls1