Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sucked down an EGR seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sucked down an EGR seal

Well I went to remove my EGR and A.I.R. systems. Well I start to put on the block off plates and notice that the holes are not drilled correctly so I have to put everything back together. Once I get the car back together I notice it is not running right. So I take the EGR back off the intake and notice that the seal is not seated. I then reinstall the seal and reinstall the EGR back on the intake. When I restart the car it still sounds the same. At that time I remove the EGR from the intake again and notice that the seal is just completely gone now!

What kind of damage, if any, could this do to the motor? Please help! I am a little desperate at the moment. I have done everything short of taking the intake off to find the seal. Although the car was still running when the seal came off and the car never tried to die. I actually did shut it off.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

It probably got sucked through the engine. It's small and made of rubber/plastic - if it made it past the intake valve it would have disentigrated in the chamber.

Not to worry, I've heard of this happening before and never heard of disastrous results.

If you can take your TB off and shine a flashlight down in there you might be able to see it if it wasn't sucked through - it depends on if it ran long enough to suck it through or not.

A coathanger should be able to retrieve it if you can see it but be careful about fishing around in there with it !

Bad30th
Old 06-22-2004, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

That happened to me the only difference was mine was brass and when it got sucked up it made it past the intake valve. Youre prolly wondering how we retreived it. We didnt, we got the engine up to about 3K and melted that sucker right on out the exhaust system
Old 06-22-2004, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Umm, a brass EGR seal ? I've seen the brass hydraulic EGR fitting for some LS6 intakes but I didn't know they had a brass seal that could come off.

...and it didn't cause any valve or chamber damage when you "melted" it ?

Wow.

Bad30th

Last edited by Bad30th; 06-22-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Umm, a brass EGR seal ? I've seen the brass hydraulic EGR fitting for some LS6 intakes but I didn't know they had a brass seal that could come off.

...and it didn't cause any valve or chamber damage when you "melted" it ?

Wow.

Bad30th

Not sure if it was brass but it defiantely was metal. No damage that I know of car runs 12.7 with lid/filter,4.10 ,LM and some custom edit tuning
Old 06-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Launching!

This makes me feel a lot better now! I have already tried to look in there with a flashlight and I can't see anything in there.