Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resonator or muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resonator or muffler?

Hello fellas, before anything I just wanna say I'm new to the LS1 family but not completely new to it all since I use to put my stang against a friends lt1 and LS1 and I always did my homework on the enemy lol. Now, I purchased my camaro approx a month ago and I've been inspecting and looking what needs attention. Been doing basic maintenance on it, have done a couple of mods to it. Now the car came with a compete exhaust system. Pacesetter LTs, y pipe and magnaflow carback. Complete system is 3". It's a nice system. Now after the Y pipe I notice there's a glasspack looking muffler. It's either a resonator or some type of straight through muffler, on top of the magnaflow muffler of the carback. Now, I'm a former mustang guy and we never really deal with putting resonators or adding additional mufflers to an exhaust. I've been doing some searching on here and it seems this is typical on fbodys to quiet down the rasp. Since you guys are more knowledgeable in this, do you guys think this is a resonator or a muffler? It can't be a converter. It has no brand. Do resonators quiet down an exhaust? Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Resonator or muffler?-img_2134.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Wow....nobody huh?
Old 11-05-2016, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No the resonator will make loud and raspy. The muffler will quiet it down unless you have cats with resonator that's the only way as well
Old 11-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

The car has no cats. But car doesent seem to be very loud. So Thats why i was thinking it's a converter or a muffler. Just hadn't seen a converter like this. Either way I'll probably ditch it

Quick Reply: Resonator or muffler?