Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! PCV/Catch Can routing and setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP!! PCV/Catch Can routing and setup

Hey guys/gals.

I have my 2002 Camaro that I installed an LS2 402 Stroker setup into, and I've been running a pretty poor PCV routing setup. Basically I converted my valley cover to an LS2 that has the "nipple" on the end by the throttle body. I am still running my LS1 PCV setup and tubes on my FAST 102 manifold and now the car has a large volume of oil in the intake/smoke coming out the exhaust. I worry my PCV setup is inadequate. My question is I have a catch can that I can install, but I don't understand how to configure my new engine setup with a proper PCV setup. Where do I need to connect everything/run tubing in order to keep the oil out of my combustion chamber/intake? I have the 3/8 tubing, just need to know what to connect and what to block off in order to have a good system. Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! PCV/Catch Can routing and setup-55218_10151208832306926_1481750952_o.jpg   HELP!! PCV/Catch Can routing and setup-664756_10151208832731926_1733013082_o.jpg  
Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usafcrewchief01
Hey guys/gals.

I have my 2002 Camaro that I installed an LS2 402 Stroker setup into, and I've been running a pretty poor PCV routing setup. Basically I converted my valley cover to an LS2 that has the "nipple" on the end by the throttle body. I am still running my LS1 PCV setup and tubes on my FAST 102 manifold and now the car has a large volume of oil in the intake/smoke coming out the exhaust. I worry my PCV setup is inadequate. My question is I have a catch can that I can install, but I don't understand how to configure my new engine setup with a proper PCV setup. Where do I need to connect everything/run tubing in order to keep the oil out of my combustion chamber/intake? I have the 3/8 tubing, just need to know what to connect and what to block off in order to have a good system. Any help is appreciated!
So you have the LS2 style PCV valley cover, but instead of hooking it up you just have a nipple covering it?
The valley cover outlet is what takes the place of the stock LS1 "dirty" side of PCV system. So its the hose that runs from the back of the drivers side valve cover around the back of the engine through the PVC valve and into the intake manifold. If you want to use the LS2 setup you simply plug the passenger side valve cover and remove the line and then run a line from the valley cover outlet to the PCV valve [to a catch can] and then to the intake manifold.
From google:

With a catch can:

If you are still getting oil in the intake after adding a good catch can (some are shitty and don't catch all the oil) then you will want to look at the "clean line" (the line that runs for the valve cover to the throttle body). You may have some oil getting in that way and you can add a catch can there or add a one way valve. If you add a one-way valve I suggest also adding a breather with a one way check valve (not just a regular breather, otherwise you will get unmetered air in the engine) to alleviate any blow by or pressure that is causing the clean line to get oil back through it in the first place.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would for sure get the breather /check valve on the oil cap for your setup. I tried it without and still got oil in through the TB hose while using a quality catch can.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically if want to not run a catch can and use that LS2 valley cover in the way that it should be used I should just use the check valve off the tube and connect it to the intake port to the valley cover port and cap the passengers side valley cover and tube? If I do use the catch can I connect to what exactly? The picture really sucks at identifying which ports to connect to.

So with catch can: Which ports get capped and do I remove the hard lines entirely? because I have a total of 6 ports available:

1) Drivers side valve cover port
2) Rear passenger valve cover port
3) Forward passenger valve cover port
4) Intake Manifold Port
5) Throttle Body Port
6) LS2 Valley Cover Port

I don't have the ability to source a breather setup right now since my car is in Italy, so I need the fastest/easiest way to cut down on the amount of smoke it's burning. I appreciate all the help, just in my last days here before the car ships back to America, and I need to stop the smoke as much as possible.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html

Quick Reply: HELP!! PCV/Catch Can routing and setup