Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy with a (PCV delete) question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with a (PCV delete) question...

Hello from snowy NH!

So, after a couple of years of heart ache and disappointments, I finally have my C5 Z06 (2003) track car running, sort of...

I have a question about a PCV delete and the routing of pressure and blow by generated by the engine.

My question here is which Forum would be the most appropriate to post it in?

Just a bit more detail... my LS6 was taken out and an LS1 stroker short block was built. Some of the LS6 parts made it onto the new build, most did not.

An issue was created by the builder because he used an LS1 valley pan (no PCV vent) and the LS6 valve covers (also no PCV vent - only fresh air side...). He tried to use the itsy bitsy fresh air intake of off the pass side valve cover as the line to the PCV. Result - over pressure and a blown rear main seal.

Second builder tapped AN fittings on both valve covers and ran them to a catch can. No fresh air make up at all. Only a breather on top of the Moroso catch can... Result: 10 minutes on the track and a full catch can! (one of the lines was tapped off of the rear of the driver side valve cover where oil would pool under acceleration - not that I was ever doing any of that coming out of corners!). Anyway, I capped the line from the rear of the valve cover and left the one from the pass side valve cover since it was tapped at the middle of the valve cover and at the top of it. Result - hardly any oil into the catch can and I could run all day without it over flowing...

Um, oops. Guess I went ahead and asked my question in this post anyway...

Since I've already started doing that, I guess I should finish with this one: do I HAVE to have a fresh air line in? Do those who race an LS use a PCV? My builder says no, but I don't want another blown motor!

Thanks so much for steering me in the right direction.

Jeff

Quick Reply: New Guy with a (PCV delete) question...