Need Help. Oil filter adapter question - LS1TECH

Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help. Oil filter adapter question

Old 03-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Teching In

Default Need Help. Oil filter adapter question

Hello. I have a 00 firebird trans am. All stock. There is an oval shaped cap sitting above the oil filter. The dealer said it was called the oil filter adapter. The gasket was leaking so I went to buy a new one. Here's the problem, my old gasket is metal on outer edges and a rubber seal in the inner oval. The new gasket is just metal with a bevel to seat it. Am I supposed to put rtv on it or is it compression. After I installed it the first time around, my 6qts of oil spewed out like the Exxon Valdees. I'm going to jack it up again and replace it with another one just in case I messed it up. But do I put anything on it? Synthetic isn't cheap and don't want to have another mishap.
arxerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
LS1Tech Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxerd View Post
Hello. I have a 00 firebird trans am. All stock. There is an oval shaped cap sitting above the oil filter. The dealer said it was called the oil filter adapter. The gasket was leaking so I went to buy a new one. Here's the problem, my old gasket is metal on outer edges and a rubber seal in the inner oval. The new gasket is just metal with a bevel to seat it. Am I supposed to put rtv on it or is it compression. After I installed it the first time around, my 6qts of oil spewed out like the Exxon Valdees. I'm going to jack it up again and replace it with another one just in case I messed it up. But do I put anything on it? Synthetic isn't cheap and don't want to have another mishap.
Both the metal or the edge-bonded aluminum and rubber gasket can be used. Are you sure the gasket surfaces on the block and on the oil adapter cover are not damaged? Check for any gouges that could be preventing a proper seal.

You might want to try purchasing a new cover, gasket, and bolts: http://www.improvedracing.com/oiling...kit-p-774.html
ImprovedRacing is offline   Reply With Quote