Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum leak coming from???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum leak coming from???

Good evening everyone. I am the proud owner of a 77 datsun 280z with a 5.3 swap completed... for the most part. She has been my daily driver now for a few months and has been a blast to drive.

I had a lean code on bank 2 but not on bank 1. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and the engine rpm never changed so I didn't worry about it to much since she ran ok (slight mis at idle but no codes for it).

last weekend, I swapped out the pcv system for the ls6 valley cover and after installing everything back, I am now getting a lean on bank 1 and 2. Well I went back to the engine bay and started spraying cleaner and still got nothing but I noticed a hissing noise coming from the number 3 injector. I rotated it and the noise went with it. So I sprayed cleaner at the base of the injector and still got nothing... is this normal? Shouldn't the rpms change?

I have also sea foamed the engine and it suckered it down like a college kid drinking cheap beer. Took all of 5 seconds to drain the whole can without stumbling but it smoked like crazy for 10 min.

so this brings me to my real question. I know the smoked test but really don't want to buy $30 in parts just to end up throwing them away. Is there another way to check for vacuum leaks that I am not thinking about? Maybe just pressurize everything (less than 10psi) and listen for the hiss?

I also have a dtc 0200 for a injector.

Quick Reply: Vacuum leak coming from???