Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd thing happened the other day.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd thing happened the other day.

The other day I was driving my LS project around and suddenly the alternator was only outputting what it should. Since I only have the stock gauge I checked with my volt meter at home and it showed only 11.75 volts. I checked everything and recharged the battery. When I went to start it the starter did nothing. I could hear the solenoid click but that was it, it would not crank. I took the starter to a local rebuilder and after tear down he said the brushes, springs and bearings were bad. I took the alternator back to wear I got it from and it tested good but when I asked what voltage it was outputting they seemed quite confused. They said "it passed the test it's good". I asked for the output voltage and after they finnaly figured out how to do that the testing machine showed it was only outputting 11.75 volts. It seems strange to me that both components went bad at the same time. Is this something that happens with LS's?

Quick Reply: Odd thing happened the other day.