Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls6 intake manifold fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls6 intake manifold fitment

I'm in the process of installing a ls6 intake on my 98 base corvette with an ls1. I took out the fins underneath the intake but it seems like my coolant line are higher than normal. The passenger side is lifted about an 1/8". If I push that side down it seems like it will work but I also don't want to start putting the bolts in and crack the new manifold. Is this a common problem when you take out the fins? I understand I can delete the coolant lines but from everything I read this route shouldn't cause any issues. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to use the OEM LS6 coolant block offs & front cross over. No issues, plus all late GM engines are set up the same way.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-02-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran them under an ls6 intake years ago and I think I didn't have to flatten them. I did have to flatten them when I ran them under a fast intake to clear.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...take-pics.html
Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 PM
Teching In

You do not have to change the coolant lines. I have a 98 and grinded down the fins on my ls6 intake to clear the lines. Take a hammer and tap the lines down lightly to get them flatten out. Also while you are there change out those knock sensors.

I used 4" grinder with a flapper wheel disk for the bottom of my intake. Take you time and make sure to buy a set of new intake gaskets and some foam for the front and back to keep water out of the knock sensors.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:48 AM
Teching In

I chiseled down the fins and then took sand paper to see where all my high points were still and then brought those areas down to be flush but it seems like my coolant line coming out by the throttle body is raised up higher than normal. I really didn't want to go the route of doing the LS6 coolant line block off kit but I guess I never came across people flattening out the lines. I'll try doing that with caution.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Ls6 intake manifold fitment