Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal & install of crank bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal & install of crank bolt

I need to change the oil pump on a 2000 5.3L but it has an auto transmission. I've always dealt with standard transmissions and put it in gear to hold the engine while taking out and installing the crank bolt. So how do I keep the engine from turning with this auto transmission? Any and all ideas and advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I've only done it when my transmission has been removed so I just stuck a extension between the block and where the flex plate bolt hole is.

But they do make a flex plate locker that bolts into where your starter is and it has teeth that mesh with the flex plate to lock it. I think they are around $20-30.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I've only done it when my transmission has been removed so I just stuck a extension between the block and where the flex plate bolt hole is.

But they do make a flex plate locker that bolts into where your starter is and it has teeth that mesh with the flex plate to lock it. I think they are around $20-30.
Great. Thank you sir.

Quick Reply: Removal & install of crank bolt