Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dying waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Dying waterpump?

I have a odd issue Im not sure how to fix.Lately my upper rad hose looks to be collasped but pumps back up when i start my car.I thought well..its a few yrs old and could use a fresh hose.I replaced both upper and lower as precaution and did a flush of the system.but even with a new hose..im still getting this new upper hose looks like its being sucked in when the car is off for awhile..then pumps back to normal once its running.Ive tried burping the system 3 times..front end jacked up etc and seems like their are no air pockets.Im wondering if the waterpump is on its last legs or some other issue I should look out for,my temps never spike up to cause me to panic or question if its working.I might try a new belt since it needs to be replaced also..maybe its slipping on the pulley for the pump?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, the hose pumps back up when you start the car, so the pump is working. The temperature is not going up. Run it. You're over thinking things.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

your probably right.but it is the original pump since 02 lol..i wouldnt be surprised if it quit at this point in its life lol
Old 07-03-2017, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your radiator cap or coolant reservoir isn't pulling the coolant back into the system as it looses pressure. My suggestion is to check the overflow hose it could be blocked
Old 07-03-2017, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

That sound very possible since I had to relocate the overflow tank and the hose was moved and extended.The tank almost sits level with the rad now.I might have to look into that more.Rap cap is relatively new.I havent had any overheat or boil over situations but I think even when cold the overflow tank level doesnt seem to go to the cold mark.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah it sounds like the system is trying to pull fluid from the overflow but it's not able to. Remember the fbody does not have a sealed overflow, if your new one is sealed it needs to have a vent.

If you notice the hose is flat, remove the cap to see if it relives the pressure and the hoses get round again

Quick Reply: Dying waterpump?