Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick disconnects for AC condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Quick disconnects for AC condenser?

Well I'm in the middle of my heads/cam/intake/LS6 valley cover/oil pump/chain/ps pump/exhaust/tranny temp sensor/ install and the only f-up is that during the cam swap one of my hard AC lines broke completely apart at the check valve near the electrical plug and freed all my AC juice.

So. I am wondering if anybody has tried to put in quick disconnects in the two lines to make for easy removal of the AC condenser for installations such as this and maybe for a few pounds at the track. You could use connectors and/or valves such that all four 'ends' are closed after the disconnect happens. Would we need a bypass on the 'car side' of the system (to complete the circuit after the condenser is removed from the loop)? Of course if its just when working on the car, its not running anyway.

At the least I'm replacing some of this line with flexible line on the one side so this doesn't happen again.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RCowan
Well I'm in the middle of my heads/cam/intake/LS6 valley cover/oil pump/chain/ps pump/exhaust/tranny temp sensor/ install and the only f-up is that during the cam swap one of my hard AC lines broke completely apart at the check valve near the electrical plug and freed all my AC juice.

So. I am wondering if anybody has tried to put in quick disconnects in the two lines to make for easy removal of the AC condenser for installations such as this and maybe for a few pounds at the track. You could use connectors and/or valves such that all four 'ends' are closed after the disconnect happens. Would we need a bypass on the 'car side' of the system (to complete the circuit after the condenser is removed from the loop)? Of course if its just when working on the car, its not running anyway.

At the least I'm replacing some of this line with flexible line on the one side so this doesn't happen again.

If you are talking about the line that goes from the bottom right connector on the condensor to the compressor to the evaporator up top I just replaced mine last week. It has metals end and rubber in the middle to allow it flex. Mine rubbed a hole in the metal on the bottom from rubbing against the frame since I lowered the car 2 inches. It is a PITA to remove and replace. BTW if it is that pipe I have the part number as well if you need it.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:26 AM
wrencher

If your talking about the other line that is the liquid line. They are common to break right there where the line expands.
I dont think anyone has put the disconnects in due to cost , it's alot cheaper just to run the stock pieces.Any one that is working on the car that much prolly doesn't have A/C on it anyway........
Old 07-05-2004, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

This one is the hardline that comes off the top of the condenser near the battery, goes through a small section of hard plastic line and to another hardline with an electrical connector near the hood-shock on the passenger side :/
Old 07-05-2004, 12:36 AM
wrencher

It is all metal? = Liquid line.....
Old 07-05-2004, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Yep its all metal. I just took another look part of it is just covered in rubber for some reason. Is there any reason I can't replace this with an appropriate hose? I'm certain I'll at least be changing cams now and then in the future and I'd like to be able to move the condenser out of the way without breaking this thing.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

And just like you said it broke right where the line expands for that filter in the line

Last edited by RCowan; 07-05-2004 at 01:37 AM.