Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a decent catback for a complete stock car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004 | 08:06 AM
Teching In

"18 year old woman"??? Is there such a thing? lol

I loved my loudmouth when I had stock manifolds and cats. As soon as I put my headers on though I had it up for sale within a week, the rasp at 2k-3k rpm sounds like sheeeit w/ headers. I sold my T/A but I'll be buying an SS here in a month or two and I'll definitely be buying another LM since I doubt I'll be able to afford headers for another couple years.
Old 07-08-2004 | 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Loudmouth sounds good on a stock car but after adding headers @ ORY it becomes insanely loud and unrefined. IMO A hillbilly truck with glasspacks. Although i'm running a Corsa muffler if I ever have any trouble with it, I am going with a Hooker muffler.
Old 07-08-2004 | 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Spend 30 bucks and get a cutout if your worried about price. Sounds like the loudmouth and outperforms it as well.
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by onyx_rock
Spend 30 bucks and get a cutout if your worried about price. Sounds like the loudmouth and outperforms it as well.
How can you outperform a straight through 3" pipe?? Especially on a stock care that doesn't need all that flow.
Old 07-08-2004 | 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the Sponsor specials and group purchases forum, I know it's right at the top of your price range, but they have the gmmg on group purchase for only $600 right now. That's the cheapest I've ever seen it, and that's shipped. I live in michigan too and if you drive it in the winter at all it would probably be a good idea to go stainless if you can. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-08-2004 | 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Main criteria is money? Which you've already stated $500-600. Or the main criteria is sound? Actually if you're wanting to match both of these I'd still reccomend the GMMG. Especially factoring in what you said in regards about modifications. If you're not going to be spending much more money on it, indulge on the fancy exhaust system. I haven't actually ever had the pleasure of hearing them in person but the clips sound like straight up detroit muscle, and anyone who has them loves them. So says this board at least. They just had a Group Purchase on these systems and if you play your cards right you may still be able to get in on the GP price. It was $600 with the regular tips. Of course another spin on it could be, settle with the LM and then put the extra money towards some other minor bolt-on mods. You mentioned exhaust though. Anyway you do it, have fun with it!!!!

Justin
Old 07-08-2004 | 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

I dont know man, $600 for GMMG..........that might be a good investment........IMO it's the best cat-back there is. (I'll stick with my duals though )

Good luck with your decision
Old 07-08-2004 | 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Hooker
Old 07-08-2004 | 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had 3 types....

1) Borla KICKS *** on a stock car. Expensive but BADASS!!!

2) LM is kick *** as well on a stock car but when you get headers and an ORYP kiss that sound GOODBYE.

3) Hooker is great for both stock cars and those with aftermarket mods such as headers and ORYP. Right now I have hooker and a LM for sale... It's in good shape too.
Old 07-08-2004 | 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have a hooker catback for sale as well. Just need to go to your local exhaust shop and have them bend a pipe real quick and weld it up. GREAT SOUNDING.

Let me know.
Old 07-09-2004 | 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SkyraZor
Here's my dilemma. I have a '99 Trans am, bone stock, and for the most part im not looking to change much. THE THING JUST DOESENT SOUND AGRESSIVE ENOUGH!

So... ive decided to invest in a catback. I want something loud, something muscular and agressive but at the same time, this car is used to commute so I dont want to go deaf driving it all day.

Is the LM going to be too loud, even if I keep everything on the vehicle stock? I was also considering magnaflow but i dont know if itll grab as much attention as the LM.
Let me be the first to **** off everyone here and recommend the Flowmaster Cat-back.

All aside I'm being serious here. My 02 Camaro Z28 has only an airlid, Flowmaster cat-back, and Diablo programming for performance mods. I origonally had the Magnaflow (based on input from message boards) and was VERY disappointed with it. The car was stock quiet at idle, and mellow at WOT (although it WAS louder.) The SLP loudmouth is definetly loud and aggressive, to the point of being assinine. It's nothing more than a resonator and two straight pipes! This may be cool in the country, but your neighbors will loathe you if you come home after 9PM!

Once you sort past the crap about flow numbers, the Flowmaster delivers happy performance. It gives a good bark at idle and throttle. The cat-back does NOT drone at highway speeds (but the muffler alone will....as stupid as that sounds). At the track I gained .2sec and 2mph on the 1/4 over stock. This was the EXACT same gain my MagnaFlow gave me (how can that be....the flow numbers are SOOOOO great on the Magnaflow???? )

Anyhow, I hightly recommend the Flowmaster. For $300 + shiping (summuit Racing), you can't go wrong. If you slept on a bed of $$, I'd recommend the GMMG, but you already made the reality call. So, this is my reality answer

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 07-09-2004 | 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Don't forget the Rumbler catback. It features a 3" bullet muffler in the I pipe & mandrel bends! $225 without tips, or $299 with Magnaflow or Ractiv tips makes it pretty hard to beat! The last TA we installed it on picked up about 15+rwhp
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-09-2004 | 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I already got you covered Jason. even quoted prices for you. its a bad *** system. only info i didnt have was if its stainless or not.
Old 07-09-2004 | 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Go with a Hooker. Tons of people on this board have it (I'm one of them). It will have exactly the sound you are looking for. I'm 18 like you so I know the importance of getting the most out of your money.
Old 07-09-2004 | 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

flowmaster sounds great, and if you arent too concerned with performance, go for it. it has a great, clean tone. i had it on my t/a for a while and loved it, but went with a Loudmouth for the extra volume. i miss the flowmasters tone, but i think the LM more than makes up for it. plus, they are both cheap. got my LM for $325-ish if i remember right. im only 17 and work at dairy queen most of the time, so i know how you feel. good luck with whatever you get.
Old 07-09-2004 | 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schantin
Let me be the first to **** off everyone here and recommend the Flowmaster Cat-back.

All aside I'm being serious here. My 02 Camaro Z28 has only an airlid, Flowmaster cat-back, and Diablo programming for performance mods. I origonally had the Magnaflow (based on input from message boards) and was VERY disappointed with it. The car was stock quiet at idle, and mellow at WOT (although it WAS louder.) The SLP loudmouth is definetly loud and aggressive, to the point of being assinine. It's nothing more than a resonator and two straight pipes! This may be cool in the country, but your neighbors will loathe you if you come home after 9PM!

Once you sort past the crap about flow numbers, the Flowmaster delivers happy performance. It gives a good bark at idle and throttle. The cat-back does NOT drone at highway speeds (but the muffler alone will....as stupid as that sounds). At the track I gained .2sec and 2mph on the 1/4 over stock. This was the EXACT same gain my MagnaFlow gave me (how can that be....the flow numbers are SOOOOO great on the Magnaflow???? )

Anyhow, I hightly recommend the Flowmaster. For $300 + shiping (summuit Racing), you can't go wrong. If you slept on a bed of $$, I'd recommend the GMMG, but you already made the reality call. So, this is my reality answer

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6

hooker is cheaper. and am i the only one that cannot stand the sound of flowmaster? i can't even stand it on a mustang. Sounds fake. like the muffler is playing the tune, not the motor. to me flowmaster is merely the v8 fart can. flame me all you want, but imo, performance or not, it sounds like ****. So do the loudmouth. its noise without a purpose. You can't hear the motor purr through the exhaust.

low cost, good build, reliable brand, great sound, a little quiet down low and inside the car at cruise, but exterior sound is amazing, great tone across the rpms....if thats what you want, id get a Hooker catback.

If you want loud and agressive, this is what the loudmouth was made for. for your tastes either/or would do the trick
Old 07-09-2004 | 06:59 PM
Teching In

Well guys I found something interesting. I had almost decided to make a custom dynomouth catback... and I went to a muffler shop - that sells some chambered exhaust. They could sell me 22 inch long, 3 inch inlet/outlet chambered muffler for 60 something, the guy said. Should I do that instead? I think it would be alot cheaper than buying gmmg if I can get the system fabricated for $300 (the guys claim...)

How long of a peice should I get, if my car is completely stock, and I want it to be reasonably loud (without being disturbingly annoying)?
Old 07-10-2004 | 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you might as well have them do true duals if you are going to have a custom exhaust built. even if you add headers later, that chambered will still sound awesome.
Old 07-10-2004 | 04:17 AM
Teching In

Hooker is way too quiet on a stock car. I was embarrassed to drive my car with the Hooker on it. I swapped it out for the Loudmouth. I'm considering going back to the Flowmaster.