Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diagnostic help

So, I’ve been trying to chase down an issue I’m having with my 00 SS for a while, with no luck. Here’s what’s going on...a month or so ago I was riding through town going about 45mph and my car felt like it lost all power and the tachometer dropped to around 400-500 rpm. I noticed it right away, cause the car was not responding when I hit the gas, so I immediately pulled off the road. It continued to idle really rough and still around 400-500 rpm for a few seconds and then it finally died out. I started it back up and it idled terrible still and eventually died again. I got out, popped the hood and checked some things out. Didn’t notice anything strange...had fuel at the rails...no check engine light at this point either. I let it sit for a few minutes...started it back up and idled better but not great. Check engine light actually came on at this point. It would respond to me hitting the gas, but then die out again. I let it sit for 45 min to cool down some before trying again. My temp gage is sitting right at 180-190 like always...so according to the gage, it wasn’t overheating. After 45 min it fired up and I took off as I was only 5 min from home. Ran fine and as soon as I got in my driveway it crapped out again. Check engine light was for the map sensor...don’t remember code number. I changed my map sensor and a few minor things that needed some attention. Check engine light was gone. Got the car inspected the next day without a problem. I drove the car around for about an hour with no problems...thought it was fixed. Out of nowhere, it does the same thing while riding down the hwy. I coast off the rd and it eventually dies after rough idling for a little while. It immediately starts back up and I take off. I made it about 2 miles up the road before it dies again. I pop the hood and sit for 20 min and let it cool. Again, temp gage was right where it should be. Fired it right up and drove fine for the 5 minutes I was on the road. I haven’t touched it since. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? It’s getting the best of me so far.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check you fuel pressure at the rail, sounds like a failing fuel pump.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds exactly like what happened when my fuel pump crapped out. It ran great 1 day and would just die the next. After a week of that it finally gave out and wouldn't even start.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the idea! I was leaning towards it being an electrical problem from the symptoms it is experiencing, but will check the fuel pressure. The fuel pump was replaced with a Walbro 240 about 8 years ago when I started to add the aftermarket parts, so I would be disappointed if it’s crapping out on me already. I’ll definitely give that a check though!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

8 yrs out of a pump, seems reasonable....
Old 08-02-2018, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds like fuel pump. Also replace fuel filter.

8 years from a performance pump, or any pump for that matter, is nothing to be upset about.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic help