Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for build advice for a track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for build advice for a track car

I just picked up my first LS1 and it’s got a bent rod so I know I’m gunna be going into the internals pretty good. I’m planning on doing a 3rd gen Camaro build and would like to safely be in the 600-700 horsepower range. Basically I know I want to do a stroker kit in the bottom end and I want to supercharge it. But I don’t know what head and cam would be good. Just finished my LX 5.7 hemi build and that was a learning experience on what not to buy because After I built the engine up I ended up wasting money on the wrong headers and never gained the power I wanted. But That’s why I’m here asking for advice on what everyone thinks would be good. (Yes I know everyone says I’ll want more power eventually and to go for this build or that build. But I’m aiming for a track car build with independent rear suspension and want to keep it controllable) thanks for reading my long post any advice helps
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

with the right amount of boost 600-700 is attainable w stock heads and cam. If I was putting that kind of money into it I would cal one of the vendors up and get a blower cam. I would keep the crank and get some decent rods and pistons
Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume with stock heads it would still be good to upgrade the valvetrain components though right? Don’t wanna have a valve float issue. Also would I be good to have the heads at least ported and polished a little then?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 217 Likes on 163 Posts

Stick with stock displacement, add a blower cam kit and blower. Make sure your cam kit comes with dual springs and valve float shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My opinion is that an IRS on a 3rd or 4th gen is money wasted. Put a watts link and make sure you've got really good shocks and spring combo. If you REALLY want an IRS just get a Corvette- better sorted suspension, lighter to start, can still put big HP down, less hassle.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 804 Likes on 613 Posts

If you want IRS, just get a 15+ Mustang. Putting an IRS into a fbody will cost 10K.