LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   yet another Valve Spring thread (looking for knowledge) (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1910797-yet-another-valve-spring-thread-looking-knowledge.html)

rednblackgoat 11-23-2018 08:38 PM

yet another Valve Spring thread (looking for knowledge)

So im really needing to get valve springs for my 04 GTO since its running stock springs with a .0600 lift cam and after some research ive seen SOME talk about needing more than just some beehive springs off ebay such as retainers and locks and related valvetrain parts. so I will ask what all is actually needed for me to upgrade my valve springs before killing my motor AND bank account. Wanting to go as cheap as I can because Im not made of money by any means. I know its annoying seeing posts so closely related over and over but I haven't been able to find any answers directly related to my situation.thanks

KCS 11-23-2018 10:30 PM

Beehive springs are usually compatible with stock retainers, locators, and locks. Dual springs on the other hand, are not. You would want to buy the kit which usually comes with the supporting hardware needed to swap to dual springs. You should probably contact the cam manufacturer to see which spring would be right for you.

99 Black Bird T/A 11-23-2018 10:31 PM

Well without knowing exactly what cam is being ran and all of its specifications it's a guessing game. What springs did the cam manufacturer recommend? The spring that's OK for an XER or LSL lobe cam probably won't work very well for an LSK lobe etc even if the lift is similar.

For typical cams the BTR spring kits work very well and are budget friendly. I suggest calling Brian Tooley Racing and discussing your cam and other mods so they can suggest a spring kit.

Likewise, contact WS6 Store. They are super helpful and can also help pick the right spring kit.

LilJayV10 11-24-2018 03:59 PM

.600 lift cam...stock springs?

G Atsma 11-24-2018 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 (Post 20006463)
.600 lift cam...stock springs?

Can anyone say..... COIL BIND????

LilJayV10 11-24-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 20006467)
Can anyone say..... COIL BIND????

I was thinking float but YES to your comment...:nod:

G Atsma 11-24-2018 06:03 PM

I was wondering if the stock springs were wound loosely enough(fewer coils) that bind might not be an issue?

big hammer 11-24-2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 20006521)
I was wondering if the stock springs were wound loosely enough(fewer coils) that bind might not be an issue?

im not sure they’ll be binding. The biggest limiting factor with the Stock springs is pressures. They just can’t handle aggressive lift rates. The valve will get out of control pretty quick

G Atsma 11-24-2018 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by big hammer (Post 20006576)
im not sure they’ll be binding. The biggest limiting factor with the Stock springs is pressures. They just can’t handle aggressive lift rates. The valve will get out of control pretty quick

Totally agreed! Those have to be some sloppy springs! Just wondering if they'd bind or not. I remember someone doing cam tests with .600 lift cams and still using stock springs just to see what happens. No reports of coil bind, just LOTS of float.... lol

dreadpirateroberts 11-25-2018 12:59 AM

i hate to be the one to ask this question... but WHY weren't the stock springs swapped out when the cam was done?

G Atsma 11-25-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts (Post 20006668)
i hate to be the one to ask this question... but WHY weren't the stock springs swapped out when the cam was done?

I'm sure MANY of us thought the same thing... good to bring it up!

rednari2 11-25-2018 11:13 AM

If the budget is a concern, upgrade to an LS6 spring. They are relatively cheap and will work with the OE hardware such retainers and keepers. If I remember right, the 6 springs are about 130 on the close and about 290 on the open and should be enough for your build.

rednblackgoat 11-25-2018 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts (Post 20006668)

The previous owner wanted the sound and wasnt all that smart when it came to engines. had a base tune on it when i bought it as well

LilJayV10 11-25-2018 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by rednari2 (Post 20006796)
If the budget is a concern, upgrade to an LS6 spring. They are relatively cheap and will work with the OE hardware such retainers and keepers. If I remember right, the 6 springs are about 130 on the close and about 290 on the open and should be enough for your build.

NO...........

I say NO but it actually depends on what the cam is. LS6 cam... of course yes. Hot cam...yes. BTR truck cam..yes. I'm sure there are several others, but to make a blanket statement that you can use the LS6 spring for budget reasons on any aftermarket cam is..well wrong.

rednari2 11-30-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 (Post 20006908)
NO...........

I say NO but it actually depends on what the cam is. LS6 cam... of course yes. Hot cam...yes. BTR truck cam..yes. I'm sure there are several others, but to make a blanket statement that you can use the LS6 spring for budget reasons on any aftermarket cam is..well wrong.

Yes true, but the OP stated the motor had OE springs. So, I am assuming OE spring height was sufficient. Also, it doesn't seem like he knows the cam specs. Until then only assumptions can be made, so I assumed since he had OE springs, the 6s would be an adequate upgrade, and no doubt would work better than OEs.

tech@WS6store 11-30-2018 06:04 PM

Don't buy off ebay is first step.
Put some 1219s on it and move along

We have em for 140 shipped.

Then there is no guessing and no question.
Simple. Easy. Quick.

LLLosingit 11-30-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store (Post 20009631)
Don't buy off ebay is first step.
Put some 1219s on it and move along

We have em for 140 shipped.

Then there is no guessing and no question.
Simple. Easy. Quick.

Good price!

I will also add this, Get the right tools for the job. I used an air line adapter pulled from a compression tester to hold the valve up while I used a LS specific spring compressor to remove and replace the springs. I used one similar to this one.

LilJayV10 12-01-2018 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rednari2 (Post 20009577)
Yes true, but the OP stated the motor had OE springs. So, I am assuming OE spring height was sufficient. Also, it doesn't seem like he knows the cam specs. Until then only assumptions can be made, so I assumed since he had OE springs, the 6s would be an adequate upgrade, and no doubt would work better than OEs.

Holy shit you need go back to Google...

Stop spreading false information about shit you don't know anything about.

The only part of your post that was factual was he doesn't know his cam specs.

:smh:

RevGTO 12-02-2018 02:18 PM

Yes, .600 is well over the top for any LS6 spring.

G Atsma 12-02-2018 02:45 PM

I think .570 is max lift for LS6 springs