Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plug wires

i just recently put new msd 8.5 super conductors on my 02 camaro ls1. has cam and supporting mods. changed the wires about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine i go to take car out today and it feels like theres a loss of power and sounds like its bogging a little. all wires are connected tight. just started this today. any one have any ideas?
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your old wires worked and you still have them, you can do a quick test with those and rule out the new wires as being a problem.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I put a new set of MSD's on my car as I was changing plugs and the old MSD's had about 100k on them. I then developed a hi-rpm misfire that took forever for me to chase down, but it was the new wires. It was a relearning experience of the old proverb "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Best thing to do is put a scanner on the car. That's what enabled us to chase it down. The misfire would travel from cylinder to cylinder as we moved the wires around.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I've always had good luck with MSD wires but I guess it's luck of the draw sometimes.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Sometimes testing the continuity and resistance of the new plug wire with a volt meter can help spot a bad wire. It's easy to do after taking the wires out of the box. Friends have laughed at this as being OCD but I've never stuck a bad plug wire new or old on a car
Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Always ohm test the wires, even new out the box. MSD wires are not what they used to be. As I will explain in more detail below. This is going to sound like I'm a shill for one of the other wire manufacturers but I assure you I'm not. I don't even live in the USA.

I had a set of red super conductors on my first heads/cam ls1 car back in the early 2000's and they went for 70,000 miles being raced street and track and still ohm tested OK after all of that. To the point I sold the set of wires on ebay when I sold all the go fast bits from the car and then sold the car. I didn't even have wire protectors on them. They were on there as is, and the car had 1 3/4 4-1 headers on it.

FF to 2015.. I buy a new set of super conductors for my Camaro in sig.. they tested 40-60 ohms out the box. Well they lasted only 4,000 miles before one of them died completely, and when I ohm tested all the other most of them except maybe two were much higher ohms than when new. I'm talking in the thousands.

Now it gets even worse. Being stupid I bought another new set of MSD super conductors but the longer ones made to clear taller valve covers as I was planning to install my small bore ls7 heads and T&D rockers on the car. I ohm tested them new out the box, as I always do, and 7 of them were 40-60 ohms, and one measured 1000 or so ohms. I double and triple checked it with the meter and nothing changed so then I looked in the wire and i could see it wasn't crimped properly on the coil end like the others were. I wrestled with it to try fix it but I couldn't and gave up.

Buy Moroso wires or something else or you will be down on power in no time.

Last edited by Launch; 12-03-2018 at 02:26 AM.