Notices
Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking noise driving me crazy!!!!

Old 12-22-2018, 03:26 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Thats cool I'll explain;

Problem: too slow
Solution: mod with aftermarket performance parts

Guess I saved you the trouble of enlightening everyone on procedure now
Old 12-22-2018, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I've just been where you guys are hundreds of times. And I've tried your way, and seen customers try your way. I'm a professional that people count on to fix their cars. The way you're recommending leads to comebacks and pissed off customers and a loss of business. So I have to find a permanent fix. I have and I'm trying to share that with you guys but some people would rather fight than listen to someone that's experienced what they are going through and trying to help them with it.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cam View Post
Thats cool I'll explain;

Problem: too slow
Solution: mod with aftermarket performance parts

Guess I saved you the trouble of enlightening everyone on procedure now

Your example isn't in line with your recommendation, that's in line with mine.

Your example above is a repair. You put a part on it to fix the issue.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than wiping some **** on it that temporarily fixes the issue then needs repeated frequent applications of the product.

Jesus christ man this really isn't that hard to follow.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:37 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

No where did I say you were wrong about your approach. My first post in this thread was to use some soap BECAUSE with age, and belt condition and a non new system each bearing is going to have slightly different load resistance and each pulley will have wear and maybe corrosion yet NONE of those parts may be thrashed and still good for a few years. If so? Dressing the belt might make the noise go away and "solve" the issue the OP is asking about without having to spend a ton of time, or money ( soon as you start tearing them apart it ALWAYS costs money )

If the dressing did not solve the OP's problem I figured he would post back up at which time I would advise more intensive efforts. The easy fix is go to dealer, purchase BRAND NEW WITH WARRANTY. The road between that cost and my stingy approach to saving dollars is vast and wide and up to YOU whoever reads this to decide whats worth doing, or buying. You pay either way the choices are yours
Old 12-22-2018, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

If you don't want to believe me maybe you can believe one of the biggest manufacturers of automotive belts and pulleys.

Read and learn and realize why anything applied to a belt makes the issue worse than it ever was. I didn't know the terminology of this until just now but I have experienced it in the shop.

http://www.daycoproducts.com/why-bel...t-a-noisy-belt
Old 12-22-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

No where did I say you were wrong about your approach. My first post in this thread was to use some soap BECAUSE with age, and belt condition and a non new system each bearing is going to have slightly different load resistance and each pulley will have wear and maybe corrosion yet NONE of those parts may be thrashed and still good for a few years. If so? Dressing the belt might make the noise go away and "solve" the issue the OP is asking about without having to spend a ton of time, or money ( soon as you start tearing them apart it ALWAYS costs money )

If the dressing did not solve the OP's problem I figured he would post back up at which time I would advise more intensive efforts. The easy fix is go to dealer, purchase BRAND NEW WITH WARRANTY. The road between that cost and my stingy approach to saving dollars is vast and wide and up to YOU whoever reads this to decide whats worth doing, or buying. You pay either way the choices are yours
Changing bearing condition does absolutely nothing to belt noise. If that were the case every time you turned the steering wheel and the load went up on the pump the belt would squeal every time you turned on the headlights and the ac and the load went up on the pulley the belt would squeal.

In my 20 years belts squeal for two reasons. Fluid contamination, usually antifreeze or belt dressing. And misalignment. That's it.

Pulleys make their own noises.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:44 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

They want to sell belts.

As I said, buy all brand new with warranty and there is no problem. Old used stuff you have to decide what to do;

1. take to shop and pay the bill
2. try it on your own, buy parts, take chances
3. ask on forums for suggestions on how to repair

Option 3 is filled with opinions and options. Some will work, some wont. The choice is each of ours to make

Again, not once did I say your approach was incorrect it only costs more time, and money than my simple trick is all. I'd say 1/3 times the dressing solves the noise in my experience. Sometimes you need to dress the belt again in time, sometimes not. Certainly isnt going to hurt anything
Old 12-22-2018, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

The article I posted said the dressing would quieten a belt. But if it's misaligned it doesn't stop the destruction of the belt.

The OP has new belts, so they don't need dressing. Misalignment is the obvious issue or the belt is too loose. He said he put on a new tensioner so it's safe to assume that's not the case and loose belts usually squal real loud under load then chill out. He's basically saying it squeaks at all times. That's an alignment issue that no amount of whatever you put on it will help.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
Changing bearing condition does absolutely nothing to belt noise. If that were the case every time you turned the steering wheel and the load went up on the pump the belt would squeal every time you turned on the headlights and the ac and the load went up on the pulley the belt would squeal.

In my 20 years belts squeal for two reasons. Fluid contamination, usually antifreeze or belt dressing. And misalignment. That's it.

Pulleys make their own noises.

Wow dude your on fire! Each bearing has different rolling resistance than the next and with age its even more vast. tensioner load varies and on and on. All of this can affect harmonics and cause nose but this DOES NOT MEAN the sum of these components are garbage, it could be a simple harmonic

Harmonic
A harmonic is a signal or wave whose frequency is an integral (whole-number) multiple of the frequency of some reference signal or wave
Old 12-22-2018, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

They want to sell belts.

As I said, buy all brand new with warranty and there is no problem. Old used stuff you have to decide what to do;

1. take to shop and pay the bill
2. try it on your own, buy parts, take chances
3. ask on forums for suggestions on how to repair

Option 3 is filled with opinions and options. Some will work, some wont. The choice is each of ours to make

Again, not once did I say your approach was incorrect it only costs more time, and money than my simple trick is all. I'd say 1/3 times the dressing solves the noise in my experience. Sometimes you need to dress the belt again in time, sometimes not. Certainly isnt going to hurt anything

Jesus **** they gave you the science behind why you could use belt dressing in the past and cant now.

You didn't even read it did you?

This is a massive waste of time you're one of those guys that like I said earlier want so hard to believe whatever is easy and cheap that you'll deny any level of proof put in your face. I've told you I've tried this **** for 20 years. I told you I've seen it all and what the effects are.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:47 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

If the system is out of whack the dressing wont last an hour. Again, this was my suggestion for the first step, not a cure all
Old 12-22-2018, 03:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Jesus **** they gave you the science behind why you could use belt dressing in the past and cant now.

You didn't even read it did you?

This is a massive waste of time you're one of those guys that like I said earlier want so hard to believe whatever is easy and cheap that you'll deny any level of proof put in your face. I've told you I've tried this **** for 20 years. I told you I've seen it all and what the effects are.

Deny what proof? Again I never once disagreed with your plan, Im only trying to save the guy a few bucks with a simple first step trick that sometimes works. Thats it

Dont lose your poop over it.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow dude your on fire! Each bearing has different rolling resistance than the next and with age its even more vast. tensioner load varies and on and on. All of this can affect harmonics and cause nose but this DOES NOT MEAN the sum of these components are garbage, it could be a simple harmonic

Harmonic

Like I said dipshit, pulleys make their own noises.

Belts make belt noises.

You can't even keep up with your own examples.

You're reaching so god damn far to win it's hilarious.

Look, I live in the environment you speculate about. You're now throwing out theories about harmonics in pulleys. What does that have to do with belt squeal?
Old 12-22-2018, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Deny what proof? Again I never once disagreed with your plan, Im only trying to save the guy a few bucks with a simple first step trick that sometimes works. Thats it

Dont lose your poop over it.
We weren't talking about my plan at that time we were talking about why you shouldn't use a belt dressing. I posted an article stating why. You didn't read it and you aren't keeping up.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:56 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Like I said dipshit, pulleys make their own noises.

Belts make belt noises.

You can't even keep up with your own examples.

You're reaching so god damn far to win it's hilarious.

Look, I live in the environment you speculate about. You're now throwing out theories about harmonics in pulleys. What does that have to do with belt squeal?

Win what? I think your clearly confused and very angry because you prefer a different approach. I respect your approach I merely had a simple trick to offer that sometimes solves belt noises.

Dont let that wreck your day bud
Old 12-22-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL. I'm not.

Have a good one man, I gotta go christmas shopping I'm wasting my day conversing belts and soap on ls1tech

Y'all have fun gotta run
Old 12-22-2018, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh and read the article. It's short and has good info that may apply in your field someday if it doesn't already.

By the way, soaping a belt is fine. But new belts are never the same after you apply something so just know you majorly reduce the service life if you apply substances to them. I've literally tried everything and you end up buying another belt before long. I've tried.. soap, wax, wd40, belt dressing, oil, water, brake cleaner, wire brushes and screwdrivers with the engine running etc..

A proper repair and a new belt is the only thing that lasts.

THE best remedy I've found that lasts, that is kind of a bandaid for chirpy cars is the Goodyear gatorback belt. They are excellent at helping cure a chirp when only a minor issue is causing it that isn't tearing up the belt.

Always a good idea to try one of those.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:23 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Right on. I hope the mods dont edit the snot out of this either. Its important to disagree, hold your positions, come to terms with one another and walk away toasting glasses!

Cheers brother

Have fun out there in the zoo Im all done my Christmas shopping I win that struggle today

Ah yes and Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to anyone else out there who celebrates Christmas best to you all as well.

To the ones who dont, I wish you good times and good days ahead
Old 12-22-2018, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks man I agree, for once ahaha.

Thank you for that, Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

I made it out alive, and yes you did win that one. I'm beat up after only a couple of hours.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Update guys. A gates belt from orileys fixed the problem. I guess the $18 belts weren't good enough.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: