LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Squeaking noise driving me crazy!!!! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1911895-squeaking-noise-driving-me-crazy.html)

00pooterSS 12-30-2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi (Post 20022319)
Haha don't have to use your fingers, just smear it with a big tube just give the handle a few squeezes . Never said its the right way , I agree its totally redneck , the right way do it is of course diagnosing it , replacing the belt and tensioner/pulleys period . I just mentioned it because its something that worked for me . Would I do it on a customers car that comes in with a Porsche Cayenne turbo and a belt issue no , but would I try one of the above mentioned band aid fixes on my broke ass cousins rusted bucket 250,000 mile Toyota Yaris that I know is never going to pay me , hell yeah.
Also have to remember there are other engines than the LS where it takes more than 10 mins to replace the belt .

I can see all of that and agree. I come across as a hard ass about things sometimes because I have to do things that last. I am a tech and I charge people, therefore I have to do it the best and longest lasting way possible, I cannot and will not risk losing a customer. But yeah on a rust bucket farm truck or something like that, a bandaid is par for the course. And again, I don't care what people do to their own cars but it is frustrating to see people recommend half ass things to people on these forums as the proper way to fix things. You did not do that you stated straight up what it was and that's cool as a cucumber.

And yeah some belts are harder. But for me, a couple hours of my time every few years or 20 minutes of my time every month for years... I do get what you're saying completely though.

00pooterSS 12-30-2018 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by TA_Freak (Post 20022234)
This thread was quite entertaining. One minute someone is calling another a dipshit and the next they're kissing and making up!! Right on!!

Now to offer a little of my experience. I solved my belt chirping years ago with a spray bottle of water and an laser alignment tool. The spray of water confirmed that it was a belt issue... and not a bearing or tension. The power steering pump pulley was a little off so after aligning it .... good to go!! Oh and belt dressing is nasty ... it will cake shit everywhere and then your belt sounds like rice crispy treats jammed in there .....

I called him a dipshit in a supportive manner lol. Like cmon buddy, ya dipshit. Haha.

But you ran into what i've seen a lot. It's real easy to get the power steering pulley in the wrong spot, it's a design that annoys the absolute shit out of me. Tons of cars out there have bolt on ps pulleys, but a few of the domestics love their press on pulleys and it's gay as can be. Then you have other press on pulleys on the same engine like the crank pulley but it stops when it's in the right spot.. They couldn't build a lip on the pulley or something for it to bottom out on and keep this crap from happening? Engineers man..

TA_Freak 01-03-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS (Post 20023193)
But you ran into what i've seen a lot. It's real easy to get the power steering pulley in the wrong spot, it's a design that annoys the absolute shit out of me. Tons of cars out there have bolt on ps pulleys, but a few of the domestics love their press on pulleys and it's gay as can be. Then you have other press on pulleys on the same engine like the crank pulley but it stops when it's in the right spot.. They couldn't build a lip on the pulley or something for it to bottom out on and keep this crap from happening? Engineers man..

As an engineer myself, it too annoys the hell of of me that the pulley must be pressed on to some certain depth instead of a fixed flange that a pulley could be bolted onto. And it doesn't take much by way of misalignment of the belt before it starts chirping like a dry bearing. I'm sure a lot of people have thrown pulleys and tensioners at the system in a shotgun and expensive manner trying to quiet things down.

RevGTO 01-03-2019 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi (Post 20022319)
would I try one of the above mentioned band aid fixes on my broke ass cousins rusted bucket 250,000 mile Toyota Yaris that I know is never going to pay me, hell yeah.

Anything and everything is permissible in this situation, lol.

Moving this as a 99 T/A is Gen III, not IV and maybe some of the guys on that forum will enjoy this thread ...:nod:

gMAG 01-04-2019 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by RevGTO (Post 20025208)
Anything and everything is permissible in this situation, lol.

Moving this as a 99 T/A is not Gen III, not IV and maybe some of the guys on that forum will enjoy this thread ...:nod:

Not Gen III?
Is the LS1 in his TA different than other LS1s?
Just asking for clarification, Mr Moderator..

G Atsma 01-04-2019 11:25 AM

Looks like it got moved back....

SoFla01SSLookinstok 01-04-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS (Post 20023193)
I called him a dipshit in a supportive manner lol. Like cmon buddy, ya dipshit. Haha.

I hear you as I was a tech for a good while. Just for info. I recently got a turn one P/S pump. Came assembled with their pulley. Installed it & belt alignment perfect. Lol. I was actually thinking it might not be at correct alignment when installing.

00pooterSS 01-04-2019 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by TA_Freak (Post 20025171)
As an engineer myself, it too annoys the hell of of me that the pulley must be pressed on to some certain depth instead of a fixed flange that a pulley could be bolted onto. And it doesn't take much by way of misalignment of the belt before it starts chirping like a dry bearing. I'm sure a lot of people have thrown pulleys and tensioners at the system in a shotgun and expensive manner trying to quiet things down.

As an engineer I'm sure you can see where someone dropped the ball on the design. It's not hard to see that tons of people are gonna goof up the depth placement of the pulley. Yes i'm sure tons of people have wasted tons of money on that. That design has been around for what, over 50 years?

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok (Post 20025419)
I hear you as I was a tech for a good while. Just for info. I recently got a turn one P/S pump. Came assembled with their pulley. Installed it & belt alignment perfect. Lol. I was actually thinking it might not be at correct alignment when installing.

That's awesome the turn one comes with the pulley installed, and to the right depth. Not all heros wear capes!

pdxmotorhead 01-04-2019 02:06 PM

Belts age even if not in use,, check your date codes when you buy them.. (Just like tires... )
I won't take a belt more than 1 year old.

FWIW,, my Jeep has no tensioner and you have to bring the serpentine up to full tension then recheck after the first hundred miles, You will not get it right without a belt tension gauge.. Don't use a gage and I almost guarantee a squeaky belt in a few hundred miles. The Gatorback belts have good bones, you can tighten them up and they stay , very little stretch.

IN a pinch ,, I have actually soaked a belt down with WD40 (Has to be running)
it will soften the rubber enough to drive for a week or so, basically long enough to get a new belt.. :)
The solvents soften the rubber a little and give it back some grip.
On my jeep once the belt squeaks its over.. No amount of tightening will make it stop.
When properly adjusted I get about 30K out o f a belt.

gMAG 01-04-2019 05:05 PM

I had a similar experience with power steer pulley, though its’ final, exact placement can be influenced by the tightening of power steering housing bolts. After measuring the deflection of the belt, I had a washer made to put the pulley exactly where it should be.

RevGTO 01-05-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by gMAG (Post 20025269)

Not Gen III?
Is the LS1 in his TA different than other LS1s?
Just asking for clarification, Mr Moderator..

Fixed . Somehow mistyped and threw in an extra "not"