Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous catch can question???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infamous catch can question???

The dreaded PCV system question!! I had a LS1 burnt tons of oil. Bad experience with the motor. So then I got a 6.0 and had it rebuilt. Now I want to get the PCV system right this time. So I have the following
LS6 Intake
LS6 pcv valley cover
dual vented passenger valve cover
single vent driver valve cover
it is NA atm and I have the mishimoto catch can. Now I’m considering getting one of the motion race work breather catch cans, and deleting the PCV and capping all the ports/vents, or is that not advised? It is not a track car. Just fun weekend warrior. Should I reuse the mishimoto catch can? Or get the breather cab and delete the PCV? Or what other combinations do you guys recommend?? I’m all ears and open to suggestions please thanks!

I made one of the diagrams to better help understand what I meant. The red is just the capped ports/vents. And I would be welding AN bungs to the covers.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

My opinion is you should keep the PCV system. Do not buy a breather can. Get a Mighty Mouse PCV can. You can use both cans if you have a lot of oil ingestion (I use 2). So the MM can has a "blow off" design to allow crank case over pressure to be released, but during 99.9% of operation works under vacuum like its supposed to. Use the 2nd can b/c 1 can might not be enough, but you only need the 1 MM can with the pressure release, the other can be a sealed can.
It is a good idea to use as big a bung and hose as possible to reduce airspeed.
And read up on PCV so you know how it works (not complicated), there are many other threads on it.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
My opinion is you should keep the PCV system. Do not buy a breather can. Get a Mighty Mouse PCV can. You can use both cans if you have a lot of oil ingestion (I use 2). So the MM can has a "blow off" design to allow crank case over pressure to be released, but during 99.9% of operation works under vacuum like its supposed to. Use the 2nd can b/c 1 can might not be enough, but you only need the 1 MM can with the pressure release, the other can be a sealed can.
It is a good idea to use as big a bung and hose as possible to reduce airspeed.
And read up on PCV so you know how it works (not complicated), there are many other threads on it.
thanks! Any input on how to route it then?

Quick Reply: Infamous catch can question???