Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is a retune after cat removal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is a retune after cat removal??

Thinking about getting rid of the cats on the car. It is already tuned for the cam and other work, just wondering if I will have any ill effects by taking them off with out any tuning changes.

The car has been getting really hot in the center console area. I am thnking maybe the cats are getting really hot.

Any help is appreciated.

Ben
Old 07-25-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think it will need to be re-tuned.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you remove your cats and do no other mods then you need to have the rear O2 sensors turned off in the PCM. Otherwise the rear O2's will send info that the car is running too rich and lean the car out and could cause detenation. Just disconnecting them is not sufficient.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedfreaks101
When you remove your cats and do no other mods then you need to have the rear O2 sensors turned off in the PCM. Otherwise the rear O2's will send info that the car is running too rich and lean the car out and could cause detenation. Just disconnecting them is not sufficient.
Not true. The rear sensors pretty much just make sure the cats are still there. I ran my car w/o any rear O2 sensors for two months and had no problems, just an SES code. When removing the cats the rear O2 sensors should be removed too, and the bungs plugged. Then you can get O2 simms if you want, but they arent necessary, just prevent an SES code.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

What can delete rear 02s? Only LS1edit or HPTuners? How about Predator or Hypertech PP3?