Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Article on True Duals with x-pipe

Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Magnaflow Article on True Duals with x-pipe

I stumbled onto this article about true duals for a 5.0 Mustang
http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05carcraft.htm
This makes me think that going with 3" mandrel bent tubing up to the X-pipe would be fine, then neck down to 2.5" after the x-pipe all the way back over the axle. They had to go bigger since they were using real mufflers which I doubt I would unless they were bullets. I really might consider this option since it would allow duals over the axle much easier and not be as restrictive as straight 2.5" duals off the headers back.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think this idea would flow very close to a true dual 3" over the axle.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

So am I wrong to thing that reducing from 3" to 2.5" after the X-pipe will not be a very large restriction on the exhaust?
I say that because by the exhuast gasses have reached the X they have cooled some and the volume is less. The velocity has also dropped, so by reducing the pipe size you keep velocity up without a real "restriction" compared to continuous 3" pipe.
Maybe I'm way off

This would be using no mufflers or Bullet mufflers unlike the real mufflers used in the article.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well don't they say that a 2.5" true dual system can accomodate around 450rwhp?? That being said, wouldn't a 3" to the X and then 2.5" out accomodate slightly more rwhp??
I'm going to do duals and I'm doing 3"-X-2.5" using small Magnaflows (not bullets though).

Search this Thread