Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tensioner bouncing around a bit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024, 07:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Tensioner bouncing around a bit

Took a vid, of my tensioner. It has a bit of bounce in it and I’m thinking it’s not the tensioner as I replaced it with a new one. The old one feels like it had more movement than this one.

I checked the HB with straight edge (okay screwdriver) and it has no wobble or bounce while running with the belt off.

the alt and water pump feel smooth with no wobble either.

the PS has a bunch of little nibs left on it from manufacturing where the belt runs… could that be what’s causing the tensioner to bounce like this? Am I missing something else?

The FEA brackets I used are from dirty dingo for the low mount alt and a mid mount PS. They are all tight and look to be running true.

the idler runs smooth as well…

what am I missing??
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0543.mov (14.14 MB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 249 Likes on 205 Posts

that idler looks fine to me
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,234 Posts

All crammed engines will cause it to bounce. It’s the overlap that causes the rough idle, and while this is taking place…multiple times a second…the engine is slowing and speeding up. Terrible explanation there, but that’s the quick and dirty version of it. The slowing and speeding up…rough idle…is what causes the crank pulley to slow and speed up the belt, hence the bouncing tensioner.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Tensioner bouncing around a bit