Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my LT & Cam And it SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed my LT & Cam And it SUCKS!

Well first off This is my first Long tube cam intstall and sorry for the long thread or if its in the wrong forum....well I have a 02 camaro 6 speed Stock heads,T1 MTI Cam 221/221.578/578/112 I think something along those numbers,JET HOT long tubes, Hooker ORY,and Magnaflow cat back... Well install went great long tubes fit great even had a buddy do a basic tune not on the dyno thow but that help alot and it even sounds mean at idle well everything was peachy until I actually drove the car home seemed kinda weak in my opinion but on my home on the freeway this stock looking Z06 pulls up next to me and we start to play well we didnt have much room but we finally got a bit of room to run so I throw it into 3rd rpms hit around 5 grand I punch it and HOLY S**T my car was freaking LOUD I mean LOUD it was so loud I thoght my ORY came off it sounded like crap raspy as hell and and i heard a few POPS threw the rear exhaust I was Like this is bad...it was so loud that there was a car in the middle lane and the Z06 and I were on the outside lane and the car that was in the middle lane was like 4 or 5 cars up ahead and I when I downshifted and punched it the guy in the car infront of us turned back to look and i think I even scared the guy in the Z06 it was an older guy....Anyway the whole point of this long *** story is what can I do to shut her up I mean do I need cats or just get rid of the long tubes and put my stock manifolds back on...Or just put it back to Stock I mean I sware it ran better stock it just really sucks its to damn loud....anyway I dont know what to do I think I F**KED up man this is sad the only thing I really liked is when I turned it on it sounded sooooooo BAD *** @ Idle..BUt thats it........Any opinions but I seriolsy am thinking of going back to stock with bolt ons...
Old 07-30-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

definately dont get rid of the headers....just put the cats on it again(i would never go back to cats).
as for it running bad, well after a cam u are gonna need a tune no questions asked, at least to squeeze every single pony out of it. it might idle ok and run well, but you are missing ponys for sure without a proper tune.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Word, get cats and a dyno tune. Problems solved.

Justin
Old 07-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

I second the tune. My car pulled 28 rwhp with a tune. TSP does mail in tunes for around $250 or so. Off road pipes and cam is loud. You should get a cut out with that cam in and listen to it idle.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cats will make it much quieter. If the cats are on then it's manageable but if they are off then all hell breaks loose once you get on it. It might settle down your idle a little bit but it'll sure sound good still.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Add cats, or a Bullet muffler in the I-pipe, or switch to a quieter catback like the SLP dual/dual.

Oh, and how did you do against the Z06?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

bullet in the i pipe is what you want. no cats and a cam witht he right catback is just bliss. have you thought about changing the catback like ls1sounds addressed? if iyou wan more of a sleeper style, id go with the dual/dual as well. put cats with the dual dual and it will be quiet as ****. personally id stick with an ory. just get a bullet and just enjoy scaring the **** out of people

good luck
Old 07-31-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, a T1 cam sound not sound real mean, your friend tha did the tuning might make is sound good, but send in the computer. You should kill an LS6 vette with the mods you did! When i had my car stock, i could out race LS1 vettes! Your tune is way off.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

To hell with mail in tunes. If you're gonna do it do it right. Mail tunes is fine for basic boltons and **** but once you go inside the engine the only way to do it is on a dyno.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is stock tune all the way until I get it tuned on Mon Aug 2nd. The cam just went in last weekend, it flat hauls ***, a definate and noticeable increase in power. Even if your tune is off, I can't imagine the car feeling slower than stock.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Did you smoke your clutch when you down shifted? That could explain the sluggishness.

As for the sound quality, I would go with a Bullet muffler ($40) with a cut-out in front of it ($50). Its going to cost you about $300 to do dual cats. And you can have open headers for the track and quiet when you want. You might also look a a QTP electric opener for the cut-out.

Last edited by Big Ty; 07-31-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:29 PM
formerly BlacKSS2oo2 (9-20-2012)

Wow, I am going to install the jet hots and hooker ory this coming wednesday. I hope it is loud I also have a cutout with a flow master muffler. Without the cam i should put down mid 350's hopefully after MTI dyno tunes it.....
Old 07-31-2004, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a dual/dual muffler....it's so nice.

TR224, Jet hots, ORY, stall....and it's quiet...
Old 08-01-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
Get a dual/dual muffler....it's so nice.

TR224, Jet hots, ORY, stall....and it's quiet...
Stall being a keyword there. That's also why I went with the dual/dual. If I had a manual trans. where I could control the RPMs better during driving, I might have went with something a little louder.

Now I just have to get the headers and cam!
Old 08-01-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Definetely get your car tuned by someone who has done it before. The noisy exhaust can be fixed by switching to a quieter catback like it has already been suggested. A few choices are the SLP dual/dual, hooker, and magnaflow catback (or even just the muffler itself). These would certainly quiet your system down. What exhaust are you currently running? By your description, I'd say a loudmouth.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Bro, i noticed the EXACT same thing after i did cam and headers. I got a cut-out on my exhaust, and when that thing is open, DAMN is that car loud. I scare away plenty of people. Small children should run. . .
Old 08-01-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLP Dual/Dual does wonders

I changed to it after my Heads & Cam.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Do what others suggested. I was start with the cat-back first. Get a milder sounding muffler and see what happens. I've heard a T/A with TR224/224 cam, stock heads, Hooker LT't, Hooker ORY and Hooker cat-back and the sucker sounded great. Was loud when he got into it, however it wasn't much louder than my setup with stock exhaust and cutout. I have a hooker cat-back however run with my cutout open

And you MUST do the dyno tuning!! If it's backfireing you may be runing to lean, etc. If you are going to do it. . do it right

And hopefully I'll be in the same crowd here soon. I'm looking at that Magic stick 3 from texas speed and a set of pacesetter Lt's and ORY
Old 08-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

ThanX for the replys but I do have a Magnaflow catback which is nice but I will be adding cats and dyno tune 4 sure soon and I hope the cats will get rid of the rasp some as well..