Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install, need help ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install, need help ASAP!!!

I got going installing my QTP LT's today and I'm stuck on the driver's side. The passenger side header popped right in but I was at the driver's side for at least 2 hours and it's still not it. I tried from the bottom (with oil filter removed) and from the top. The top got me closer but still not close. I need to find about a good inch of clearance somewhere. The problematic areas are the steering shaft and block. The valve cover and fuel lines. The firewall and cowl. I've removed the coil packs on this side also.

Please give me tips about how to get this in. I'm working on jackstands in the driveway. If it were a quarter inch here or there I'd try to fudge it in, but it just doesn't even seem close and it's even more blocked up from the bottom.

Last edited by My90Iroc; 07-31-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

i had to bang in on the body under the hood on the drivers side. itll be the inside of the wheel well...that gave me an extra inch od clearance. i know all cars and headers are a lil different...but just a thought
Old 07-31-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

I had to do the same as 35thZ but I also grinded down the block casting tab just a bit to slid the header up without have to take the steering shaft out. "BANG and GRIND" doesn't sound good but it really isn't that bad at all.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:34 AM
TECH Resident

It has to come in from the bottom.

Stand the collector on the ground and feed it in straight up and then twist and maneuver it. It will go in without removing or cutting anything on the car other than removing the oil filter and drain plug.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, get the car up in the air as high as possible and try to get the collector
almost vertical. I had to grind the casting tab on the block but it slid right
in afterward. Did mine on jackstands in my driveway also.

Bryan
Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine about a month ago. I had to remove the oil filter and I HAD to remove the drain plug. I didn't think that it would make a big differance on the drain plug, but it wound up being a must do. BTW I had already ground off the rear casting tab on the block for another reason earlier so I don't know if that is a must do or not.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Remove the metal fire sheet that covers the bottom of the wheel wheel as well if you have done that and you can shave the need quarter inch of the small metal block sticking out of the block or just bent the wheel wheel in were the header touches.